Author Topic: figs  (Read 1479 times)

the_plotter

• Not So New ...
  • aaarg rain again!
figs
« on: April 09, 2005, 21:17:33 »
Just put a young potted fig tree into my greenhouse but after a week all the figs have dropped off. Is aberdeen too cold? i will be getting an apricot from someone shortly what treatment will this require and can i grow it outside?

the plotter

David R

• Acre
Re: figs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 11:23:39 »
you should still get some more figs later. I have a 5 year old in a large pot outside all year. Its horribly root bound, but that seems to help fruiting, bit like a bonsai fig! Not very sweet though, I think our summers are just not hot enough.

Oh yes, nearly forgot, pick your figs, then leave for a day or two in a warm place, they do sweeten slightly. Better than eaten staight off the plant.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 15:24:45 »
Maybe cold shock, or maybe it dried out.....?  Mine has lots of new baby fruits on it, but has been in my Essex greenhouse all winter long.  I'm sure more will come as David said.  And I believe that the more confined the roots are, the better the fruit, plant stress I guess.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 17:29:36 »
I have two figplants outside in the backgarden all year around,in wintertime it is dropping of all of his leaves.At this moment young leaves apear and also a lot of young figs.No greenhouse,no pot,just straight into the soil.Two variaties one from spain one from greece,both nicked.The fig from greece is sweet like a fig should be,that one from spain gives a lot of figs but they never ripend,ouwer summer is probly to short.So i think it depends on what kind of variaty you got,you have to search for a fig who can deal with a short summer,an early variaty or short seasend one.

quinny

• Quarter Acre
    • http://sitebuilder.wanadoo.co.uk/servlets/creat_frame?mode=modifsite&site=allaboutquinn
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 18:25:08 »
One from Spain, one from Greece - both nicked...  Classic Ruud...!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal