Author Topic: Runner Beans  (Read 657 times)

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
Runner Beans
« on: May 30, 2024, 10:17:38 »
Hi not been here for some time, but now need advice and help, I have a raised bed, 2 foot of the ground, and all the runner bean plants I put in are being eaten, the last ones I put in on Tuesday and covered with netting, thinking it might be pigeons, but they have been eaten, cannot see anything under the leaves of the two that are left, cannot see anything on the soil, so am really puzzled as to what is happening to my beans, anyone got any ideas, ?

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
Re: Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2024, 13:56:11 »
Slugs/snails/pests 😢
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

widgetwilk

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2024, 19:03:16 »
  i know slugs and snails might be smart, but can they climb up over 2 foot high, and I cannot see any,                                                     `

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2024, 06:17:27 »
I think slugs and snails certainly can climb up over two feet. They’re pretty good at scaling walls etc. They’re also good at hiding in the soil. It’s a very bad season for them too, as we had such a very wet winter and spring.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2024, 09:55:49 »
Perhaps try planting them out when they are a bit bigger next time? The slugs and snails are less likely to go for them if they are tougher.

Some years ago I spent a sunny afternoon preparing everything and setting out a dozen bean plants, newly grown from seed. They looked lovely but when I returned the next morning all were slimey stumps. It's a story I tell when I hear someone saying we should be prepared to share what we grow with nature's creatures.

I prefer to avoid using slug pellets and other controls if I can (other than nematodes), so planting them out when larger also helps on that angle.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2024, 10:55:42 »
Try going out at dusk on a damp evening, once collected 500 in an hour... probably more, I stopped counting. They climb well, even seen them on the greenhouse roof!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal