Author Topic: Why don't my Eranthis survive?  (Read 3223 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
Why don't my Eranthis survive?
« on: February 05, 2024, 13:15:07 »
Once again, they should be up and flowering, and my winter aconites have gone. They grow wild round here, as far as I know the soil is little different, so why does every one I put in cark it?
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Why don't my Eranthis survive?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2024, 17:08:09 »
Do you put them in "the green" or as bulbs... snowdrops rarely establish from "dry" bulbs Eranthis may be the same...

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2024, 22:17:29 »
I put them in green, usually about now as I see them and think "Oooh, I must have winter aconites!"

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2024, 08:22:15 »
They do seem to be particular as to where they will grow. They thrive in my acid clay, but do nothing  in our neighbours garden which is supposedly the same type of soil. No help, but ..............
Gardening is the great leveller.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2024, 14:25:06 »
They do seem to be particular as to where they will grow. They thrive in my acid clay, but do nothing  in our neighbours garden which is supposedly the same type of soil. No help, but ..............

That's inspired me to look at the soil - the RHS reckon they aren't too fussy, but prefer alkaline, which ours is. Bother, nothing there.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2024, 16:35:21 »
They grew like weeds in our son's garden in Cambridgeshire which was clay over chalk, so very different to ours here.
Have you ever tried growing them from seeds? The seed needs to be sown when green for good germination.
They need fertile, humus-rich soil that remains moist in summer. Odd, my soil is poor, humus lacking and dries out in summer. No understanding of it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 16:38:10 by Palustris »
Gardening is the great leveller.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 12:26:09 »
Might be my imagination but I am putting similar instances down to the time spring bulbs die back,i.e. the period they replenish their bulb/ corms for the following year.

I have noticed that in recent years the period from mid- March to mid- May (what used to be the normal die back period)has been much warmer than it used to be, and the ‘ Die back process’  is much quicker.

In my opinion the bulbs are not being adequately replenished because of this resulting often in poorer growth/ more blind plants.

In the past I used to work on around a 6 weeks die back period now I have seen it at less than 3 weeks.

As I say this is only an observation, what do you think?

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2024, 22:24:02 »
An impressive set of places they will grow, except my flippin' garden! I'm beginning to suspect the tree rat.

You may have a point Tee Gee - right now I have tulips out alongside crocuses, and two weeks ago I found two spears of asparagus. It's mad!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal