Author Topic: sourdough  (Read 1570 times)

ACE

• Hectare
sourdough
« on: September 10, 2024, 10:38:47 »
Who makes it and how do you make it, Millions of chancers giving advice on the web, but most must be taken with a pinch of salt.  Our first effort needed a hacksaw to slice it and I expect it is negative calories judging on the effort needed to chew it

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: sourdough
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2024, 14:19:03 »
I've pm'd you my recipe  ACE.

Tricia  :wave:

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2024, 09:55:50 »
Sorry, never tried to make sourdough bread. I do however have a recipe for "Herman the German" cake, which employs a similar principle.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2024, 16:08:04 »
Needs longer to rise than normal yeast bread.  Sometimes much longer.  Is your sourdough starter bubbling vigorously?   If in doubt, you can start with a commercial dry sourdough sachet.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2024, 16:10:30 by galina »

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2024, 07:56:47 »
Hi Ace, nice to see you again. All well and fit?
Gardening is the great leveller.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2024, 09:33:36 »
I make it most of the time. Mostly comes out ok with the occasional "It's taking too long and I'll throw it in the oven regardless"  - basically it takes all day!
There is an obsession with high hydration sourdough which can be difficult so I stick to tried and tested ratios.
My starter is always 50/50 so I can work out what the ratio of flour\water I need.
So 170g starter
500g flour
300g water
15g salt

Mix it all together and let it sit for 40 mins. Then I use my Kenwood to knead for a few mins.
Plop it in bowl
Then every 30 mins for 2 hours I stretch and fold it or pull the "corners" over. Then leave till it rises.
Knock back.
Into a bread basket lined with parchment paper.
Heat oven to max - with a cast iron pot inside.
Grab the parchment paper with the bread, score and drop into the iron pot. Lid on
Leave on max for 10 mins - remove lid - cook on 190 ish for 35 mins.

This should give you about a 65% hydration - you can add more water if your flour is very strong...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2024, 14:00:20 »
My problem is the flour I want to use to make a low G loaf. Everything is bubbling, rising and doing the right thing. But trying to use rye or wholegrain flours make it a bit dense. Ideal as an all day breakfast as it take quite a while to chew it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2024, 12:10:00 »
I think you are trying the near impossible with low gluten sourdough and whole grains that tend to be denser.  This  tends to be a bit like pumpernickel type bread, which is black and dense and needs to be cut into very fine slices to be easy to eat.  In this case the sourdough is a flavour, rather than a fluffy consistency and if you have the breadmachine on a quarter inch setting or less, it should still work. 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2024, 17:23:55 »
I agree with the post above, it's going to be difficult with that mix.
I use a mix of rye flour about 20% and wholemeal flour with seeds 50% and 30% strong white flour for my loaves, sesame seed oil and rolled in more seeds and baked in a preheated pot as mentioned above. It does make for a moist denser type loaf with a nice crust but not at all difficult to chew! I use Nancy Birtwhistles seed bread recipe, her Fb and Instagram pages are great for recipes and she has a lot of gluten free ones, you could even message her and ask if she has any suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2024, 17:26:21 by Deb P »
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal