General > The Shed

Floods

(1/3) > >>

ACE:
How are you doing? We was away in the motor home got stuck in the soft ground at one site and drove in a rolling roadblock one day as every body else was going so fast they were aquaplaning off the road when they braked. My garden is up on the highest point of town, being the site of the windmill a couple of centuries ago. Not so lucky for the daughter she got 3 foot of water right through the house with such a force it carried the fridge freezer right down the hall and smashed the front door out.

Obelixx:
That sounds horrendous ACE, both traffic and freezer.  I hope your daughter can get it all cleaned up quickly.

No floods here as we're a bit higher than the nearby Marais Poitevin levels but I don't fancy their chances this next couple of days.  Storm Ciaran is set to bring winds of 150kph  - 170 along the coast of Brittany - and heavy rain combined with high tides will combine to wreak havoc.  The last storm at the weekend has already seen sandy beaches and the dunes behind them re-arranged as wel as breaches leading to inland flooding of coastal streams and dykes.

I don't much fancy the chances of homes, gardens and allotments in low lying areas along the coast or on islands such as Noirmoutier and the Isle de Ré which are only just above sea level.

It's still warm here with double figures even at night and the recent rains mean I had a great time planting garlic this pm - soil soft and warm but not sodden.

Stay safe everyone if you're in the path of the storm.

Palustris:
Shame about the floods. Odd thing is that despite the amount of rain we are supposed to have had, our soil is still dry at about 2 inches depth.

Tulipa:
Ace I am sorry to hear about your daughter's flood, that was some force to move a fridge freezer to smash the door, I hope she can get sorted soon, thinking of her. Stay safe everyone in the storm coming, take care.

ACE:
The south coast was hit hard but being on the north coast of the island it was breezy with showers. Daughter is in a hotel until something permanent is found for her. It will take quite a while before she gets home again. My garage, conservatory and spare room is full of all the stuff she could salvage. Can't offer her a place to stay because if she does not take up the councils offer of a place to stay they will accused of making themselves deliberately homeless. A new estate built behind her home drained all the water from the roads into the stream at the back of her house and it could not handle the extra water. Predicted to happen all over again tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version