Allotment Stuff > The Basics

a question for the no diggers

<< < (2/2)

Paulh:
With most crops, you will likely get roughly the same aggregate weight of produce for the area regardless of whether you plant them a bit closer or wider than "normal". There is only so much nutrients and water available. But with closer planting the size of the individual produce will be smaller (carrots, onions, cabbages, etc), which may suit you anyway. I get told off if the onions are too large.

I used to plant out two climbing French beans to a cane, but now use only one (poor germination rates) and the overall crop is not worse.

Obelixx:
I only use raised beds and, even tho some are long, I plant in blocks rather than rows which means you can gain a bit of space for each plant by offsetting every other row so the even rows are staggered between the odd rows.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote --- I plant in blocks rather than rows, which means you can gain a bit of space for each plant by offsetting every other row, so the even rows are staggered between the odd rows.
--- End quote ---

This is what I was meaning when I said "Chevron Pattern"

Tulipa:
Me too, I call it my number 5 pattern, ie like a number 5 on a dice, you can get 18" or whatever distance between each plant in a smaller space. Ideal for broccoli, sprouts etc in a raised bed

Vinlander:
The technical term for this pattern is quincunx. A very efficient use of space - a honeycomb creates an array of quincunxes.

OTOH I would like to see this innocuous term misused as a term of abuse in Parliament - the sections of the house least likely to recognise it deserve to be confused - as most of them are only involved in creating a massive waste of space. Nuff said.

Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version