Produce > Pests & Diseases

Social slugs

(1/3) > >>

picman:
Found my slugs having a meeting to decide what crop they would destroy. ( leaving a nice dark wet place for them helps 'collect' the blighters )

Obelixx:
I put a large piece of broken pot on one bed where the snails were a complete pest and would find a dozen or so congregating there every morning.   I dare say the same trick would work for slugs in the cabbage patch but not so easy to get the blighters out of the hosta pots.

Paulh:
Obelixx, have you tried putting copper tape round the pots? I've found it really effective, so long as the hosta leaves don't touch the ground or something else that then provides a bridge into the pot.

The tape lasts for years, just check each spring that it hasn't any gaps in it. One application then of whatever is your preferred slug "remedy" to make sure you haven't trapped any gastropods in paradise.

Obelixx:
I haven't found copper tape here Paulh.   I did find some, once, when we lived in Belgium but it was fiendishly expensive and I had over 20 pots.

Paulh:
An online UK supplier sells a 10m roll for £9.99 plus delivery. I don't know if that is typical. I've still got some left from when I bought it at least ten years ago!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version