Author Topic: Still time to sow?  (Read 1609 times)

Catherine

• Not So New ...
Still time to sow?
« on: April 09, 2005, 15:34:23 »
Having just got our first plot we will no doubt spend a lot of the first weeks (or months) weeding & digging but would still like to have something to harvest for our first summer.
What do you recommend for complete novices?
We eat almost any veg!
Catherine
Catherine

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Still time to sow?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 15:57:57 »
Salad leaves, radish, beetroots and spring onions can all be sown direct, and I will still be sowing them in July to harvest in September/October.  You can buy plant seedlings at most garden centres and nurseries from now on.  Our little one has caulis and purple sprouting brocolli plantlets for sale.  You could get some of these and as you clear a patch, plant away!  Same thing with toms, corn and squashes as they won't want to go in until mid-May depending where you are so you have time to dig a bed ready for them.  Then of course there are herbs which you can buy pot grown and plant whenever you please!

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2005, 17:30:39 »
I was in exactly the same situation this time last year. I'd suggest french beans, easy to grow and crop. You can start them in pots now or sow direct quite soon. Also as EJ says, plants are about - saw several varieties of cabbage, lettuce etc in my local one this week, and some Marathon calabrese which again I put in last year as soon as we'd dug a small patch and got several meals from it.
Best of luck and have fun!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 18:11:37 »
No carrots? Onion sets? Radishes? Cucumber, courgette & leek plants? Potatoes.

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 20:14:37 »
really you're not too late yet for anything.

But if you have to prepare the ground then you'll still be in time the tender crops and then those that have to be sown in July/Aug/Sept including all sorts of endive/chicory, winter radish, spring greens, late carrots, lettuce and many others, so don't panic.
I have been in a similar situation and dug, manured, and then sowed french and runner beans all on the same day. Courgettes aren't fussy. If you think that weeds may be a problem the carrots and parsnips may be tricky. but then there's always next year....

Good luck!!
Sarah.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal