Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2023  (Read 33654 times)

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2023
« Reply #220 on: November 28, 2023, 00:11:50 »
That’s a very exciting list of varieties, Vetivert. Great that you were able to find alternatives to the varieties which didn’t produce as well as hoped.

The account of the breeding of ‘Enigma’ is fascinating. A quick google suggests that Lathyrus belinensis used in the breeding is a very attractive orangey variety found in a very small area in Turkey. Seed seems to be available in UK and it’s apparently grown in Cambridge Botanic Garden, which I visit from time to time. It feels rather tempting to try to track it down and perhaps to try to grow it along with the variety ‘Enigma’ which you’re offering. It would be good to know your source for ’ Enigma’ seed.

I’m beginning to realise how helpful it feels to have a record of where seed came from before we grew it, in order to contribute to being more likely to be able to trace the lineage of particular varieties. So it would be great if we could pass that information on with the seeds we offer. This is partly a note to self as I’m not sure that I’ve always done that. Many thanks to those who have already included that information.

I’m very pleased to report that two packages have successfully and quite quickly crossed the Channel with one more on its way. Congratulations to everyone for getting seed packages under way in such good time. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #221 on: November 28, 2023, 07:56:20 »
Looking forward very much to Sugar Rush Stripey Baccatum Vetivert.  I have grown Aji Fantasy again this year (seeds from A4a seed circle from goodlife) and love that fruity flavour.  So the Sugar Rush will be one I am keen to grow.  Looked at it in a seed catalogue only yesterday.

Other contributions look great too, thank you. 

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #222 on: November 28, 2023, 22:25:33 »
JanG the sources for all of the seeds are on the packet labels, plus the links on the previous list are also to the sources (with the exception of Shimonita (Unwins) and Cream Six Weeks (Russ Crow).

It would be good to know where you have found available L. belinensis seeds as I haven't had such luck.

There are many other L. x hammettii cultivars out there, though none were stable and usable from the F1 gen with the exception of Enigma and Three Times as Sweet. The previous hybridisation attempts in decades past required backcrossing to L. odoratus as the resulting plants were quite weak.

I'm very happy that to read that Sugar Rush was on your wishlist Galina. The plants were surprisingly easy to grow, large and very productive. I'm definitely dedicating more space to peppers next season!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #223 on: November 29, 2023, 07:54:02 »
Apologies. Lathyrus belinensis seed is apparently offered by two or three UK companies but in fact they are either sold out or links lead to an empty page. I had only gone by what appears on a Google search and hadn’t gone to next stage. Alas each enquiry led to a dead end. Rather surprising as there seems to be quite a lot of interest in the species.

Thank you for clarifying seed sources. All noted.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #224 on: December 03, 2023, 10:37:49 »
I'm very pleased to say that all seeds have now arrived and safely survived the rigours of various postal systems.

I hope to package them up and get them in the post within the next couple of days. Exciting times!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #225 on: December 03, 2023, 16:20:14 »
I am way too excited! Thanks JanG.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2023, 21:24:21 »
All the seed parcels have been despatched today. I hope they arrive with you quickly and safely

garrett

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #227 on: December 06, 2023, 16:09:19 »
My parcel arrived today. Thank you to Jan for organising and everyone who participated. I have everything laid out ready to investigate and decide what to grow next year. I'm particularly delighted with all the beautiful beans and tomatoes, I've already spotted several that were on my wish list.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #228 on: December 07, 2023, 09:42:42 »
It arrived yesterday and it's absolutely marvellous! Thank you everyone  :angel11:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #229 on: December 08, 2023, 10:26:30 »
I just had word from my friend that my parcel has also arrived safely awaiting our next visit.  Thank you JanG and thank you all.  I am so looking forward to unpacking and growing these treasures.

:icon_cheers:         :blob7:         :wave:

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #230 on: December 09, 2023, 13:28:41 »
Mine has arrived too. I shall place packets into my advent calendar and enjoy the treats until early January . Thank you everyone and especially JanG for making it happen.Merry Christmas and happy gardening.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2023, 07:15:52 »
That’s great. Thanks, Markfield Rover. Apart from Ruud’s which will take longer (fingers crossed for its smooth transit), there’s just one more we don’t know about. Hope it’s actually arrived safely. 🤞

juliev

• Not So New ...
« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2023, 09:40:58 »
Hello everyone,
mine has arrived safely too. I am beyond excited! :blob7: (and glad I took on a second allotment plot...ahem...)
A big thank you to everyone and especially Jan for organising it.
I'm hoping for another round in 2024...

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #233 on: December 12, 2023, 08:01:35 »
Great that all the UK parcels have safely arrived. Post from mainland Europe into England has been quite fast. Let’s hope it’s as good the other way.
And yes, looking forward to growing all these wonderful varieties in 2024 and with it of course saving, saving, saving seed!
I’m working on gathering all your very helpful and interesting notes, photos, web links together and putting them on the Airtable database. Those who have access can check by all means though at the moment it’s incomplete and might have errors. I’ll send out links to it in a few days when it’s fuller. Any more photos, info etc always gratefully received.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #234 on: January 05, 2024, 10:14:24 »
We have been able to share, grow and taste several of Adam Alexander's varieties, mainly via MR and also from the Heritage Seed Library.  Here is a podcast that may be of interest from GO with Adam Alexander.  Hope you enjoy it.

https://audioboom.com/posts/8419485-january-2024-an-interview-with-the-seed-detective
« Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 10:16:54 by galina »

juliev

• Not So New ...
« Reply #235 on: January 16, 2024, 10:45:20 »
Hello everyone,
I hope you are doing well.
I have been sorting out my seeds and it's definitely time to start a seed back up in the freezer.
How do you go about freezing seeds? jars, bags? long term vs medium term? Any type of seed that doesn't germinate well after freezing? Any advice would be much appreciated...

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #236 on: January 16, 2024, 13:41:11 »
Seeds must be very dry.  We can assume they have been dried well enough from the seed circle.  But we can add desiccant, like those tiny baggies that come with Covid tests or inside shoeboxes, handbags etc. 

Then I pack well before they go in the freezer.  Either in a glass jar with a twist off lid or in 3 layers of plastic.  I (mostly, could do better at times)  label what is in the baggie, so that it can be read from the outside without having to open it. 

When you want to take out a variety, take the whole jar or package and leave it for 24 hours or until it has definitely come up to room temperature.  Because if the seed packets inside the jar are still cold when you open the lid, they just attract moisture.  After taking packets out, just pack it all up again and into the freezer it goes.  Storage is for years and decades. 

If seeds went in dry, then there are none that will not germinate after freezer storage.  Obviously it is different for plant material, seed potatoes or the Babington leek bulbils cannot go into the freezer, but tps can. 

juliev

• Not So New ...
« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2024, 10:21:51 »
Thank you so much for your reply Galina. I was concerned the repeat thaw-freeze would damage the seeds. You've put my mind at ease.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2024, 12:09:50 »
Galina’s reply is comprehensive and spot on in my experience. I would keep the thaw-freeze to a minimum but accessing packets now and again when necessary should be fine.
I find organising the seeds carefully the most important thing to minimise needing to rifle through too often.   I make use of plastic boxes which I label as peas, beans, etc and the year or year range. Boxes will stack well and should be air-tight. But I’m sure you’ll find your own way of organising.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2024, 13:31:17 »
Just got to open and gaze at my marvellous seed package.  Thank you everybody so much.  Can't wait to start this year. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal