Allotment Stuff > The Basics

What to do with conifer shreddings and leaves

(1/1)

JanG:
We have a few different conifer trees including three Swamp Cypresses which are deciduous and shed liberal amounts of leaves every autumn. I’ve always assumed that these frondy leaves are quite acidic, and likewise shreddings from other conifer trimmings.
I have sometimes bagged these up separately to rot down slowly, sometimes added them as a mulch to blueberries, and sometimes put small amounts in with other composting materials. But I do worry a bit about their acidifying effect.
If I manage to get some well rotted down, I’m wondering whether it would be a good idea to add small amounts of lime to bring the Ph up.
I’ve also wondered what anyone else does with conifer trimmings.

Beersmith:
Just about the first time I have seen a question that doesn't attract even a single answer. And I don't have a clue about composting cypress leaves either.

Quick question though.  Can a conifer be deciduous?  If a swamp cypress is deciduous perhaps you don't have a problem.

Paulh:
When we had a conifer hedge, the trimmings were too bulky to even consider composting, and I took them to the recycling centre as green waste. If I had a shredder (and the time and patience), perhaps I would have turned them into a mulch to put at the base of the hedge, or used on paths / under the hedge blackberries at the allotment.

JanG:
Thank you both for breaking the silence on my question.

Swamp cypress is often described as the only deciduous conifer so I’m assuming the description holds. I’ve also googled for its acidity and it does seem to be acidic to some extent. I singled out swamp cypress because, although it’s a very lovely tree turning an amazing orange in autumn, it does cover everything within reach with a thick orange carpet which demands to be removed and used if possible. And we have three of them in a row.

The swamp cypress sheddings aren’t really robust enough to be worthwhile for a path but we could probably do more to use other conifer shreddings on paths. A good suggestion.

Deb P:
I use my Christmas fir tree shreddings  on my strawberry bed, they make a good weed suppressant and take a fair while to rot down but strawberries prefer acid soil….

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version