Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Free Manure choices.

<< < (3/3)

gray1720:

--- Quote from: Paulh on March 07, 2023, 21:29:50 ---Don't add couch grass and bindweed roots to the heap: you just don't want to reinfect your plot with something that pernicious!

--- End quote ---

You can bag them up with fresh chicken manure and they'll compost (I tried it, just to see what happens), but I wouldn't try to compost them with anything less savagely strong than chook shite.

Harry:

--- Quote from: Paulh on March 07, 2023, 21:29:50 ---Don't add couch grass and bindweed roots to the heap: you just don't want to reinfect your plot with something that pernicious!

--- End quote ---
Thanks. I was led to that conclusion with research after I'd posted.
Some say compost it, but that would need to be into a prospering hot heap maintained for the long term, and I'm only just starting mine.

saddad:
It will compost if kept in the dark... double wrapped in compost bags but takes over 18months. Worth the wait though as it contains lots of nutrients.  :wave:

Obelixx:
We leave couch grass and bindweed to dry out in the sun before either goes anywhere near a compost heap.   No green collection here so no choice about keeping them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version