General > News

Weed Suppressant Fabric

<< < (2/2)

newspud9:
Hi,
I use Lawnscape Weed Control membrane.  Although I wish I could do it without using this type of material (if it shreds it's a nightmare), I don't have access to all the cardboard I would need. At least with the membrane, I can use fabric pins to get it in place securely. I get about a 95% success rate because if I don't cover up, then the weeds win every time

lezelle:
Hi Ya,
          Looking at the pictures i think my weed control fabric is mypex with a green line running down it. I purchased it a long time ago and I'm pleased with it. I left it down and when I moved it to another location the ground was well weed free. I use it as being disabled I cannot always get to it. It dies fray if you cut it but I use a small flame gun and a piece of plank type wood with holes cut out to make my planting holes in it. A quick blast and it does the job. It does fray on the edges but a quick balst with the flame gun seals it a treat. I only use it where I grow my brassicas at the moment but i am considering using more. You have to handle it carefully, but I like it. Mind you the prices are astronomical compared to when I bought mine. They sell it on the web sites like ebay which is where I got mine. I don't think it was called mypex just weed suppressant material. Good luck all, I have just spent 2 hours weeding as the weeds have gone bonkers these last few days. You could also use black damp proof material but that doesn't let water though.

ACE:
A good tip for making non fraying planting holes is an old tin fixed in a handle and a blowtorch to heat it up and melt your holes.

tricia:
Yes, Ace I've been using a weed  burner for years to do just that! It has meant that the membrane lasts for years.

Tricia  :wave:

IanDH:
I discovered this when I used to keep bees on the plot (before the parish council instructed me to move them - whole other story) when I put the smoker down on the matting - left a lovely even round hole with nicely sealed edges!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version