Author Topic: Sunflowers no longer pretty  (Read 3110 times)

Galette

• Quarter Acre
Sunflowers no longer pretty
« on: August 15, 2022, 11:21:38 »
Hello all. This I was given six sunflower plants which have done well but are now looking very sad. Despite watering the leaves have turned browny yellow and have crisped up due to the hot sun. I want to feed the seeds to the birds in the winter but I remember having the same idea years ago and I hung the heads up in my garden shed to dry but they just went mouldy and nasty.  Any suggestions please?

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Sunflowers no longer pretty
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 14:12:04 »
I leave mine in situ to dry off once the flowering has stopped for the birds to help themselves overwinter, they will self seed in the same area as well. I just cut a few dry heads to leave out on my home bird table as I need them after that…
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 12:03:18 »
Thanks Deb P, a good idea :)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2022, 10:58:00 »
I treat sunflower heads like onions. leave them to dry out in an airy place and dont try to store before they are properly dry.  I remove the seeds from the heads to store.  :blob7:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 11:18:52 »
Thanks TC. At what stage should I remove the seeds, when I take out the plant or when the heads are dry?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal