Produce > Under Glass

Greenhouse, polytunnel or just go with the flow.

<< < (2/2)

Obelixx:
It depends on how much space you have and what you want to do with it.

We have a polytunnel here in the Vendée where heatwaves get to 44C in the shade.  It's 8m x 4m and has a door at each end which we leave open all summer for ventilation and also for pollinator access.  In late spring/early summer we put over a green mesh shade net.  In late summer that comes off so the last of the tomatoes and chillies get maximum light.

In winter I use it to shelter my citrus pots along with the tender fuchsias I have in pots and the chooks go in tehre to fossick and have a dust bath on cold and/or rainy days.  In February I start off seedlings of hardy plants and by late March it's warm enough to plant out tomatoes and chilies started off indoors on heat mats.

Vinlander:

--- Quote from: Redalder on August 16, 2022, 16:38:13 ---If you have moved to Cornwall from "Up Country" I would give it a season before you invest in anything like a poly tunnel, the weather can make poly tunnels too warm in summer. I had one up North (Scotland) but have never needed one down here in the West Country. I do have  small greenhouse for tomatoes and cucumber but the "spares" seem to do OK outside. A bird netting cage is useful to keep pigeons and seagulls at bay ( lots of seagulls even inland) as you are never far from the coast.

--- End quote ---

I'm hoping someone will look at proper roof vents for poly tunnels (Top Tips: A design to be tested - polytunnel with roof vent.) and try it before I do.

I was expecting to do it while replacing my Spanish polythene cover - but it's been 8 years now since I started the thread, and the only damage on the cover was caused by a failure of the frame during storm Eunice. The tear shows some slight evidence that it probably isn't as tough as it was - but it could last another 6 years so I'm going to put the vent in when I can find the time.

It would be a curved sheet of twinwall PC designed like the lid of a dumpster so the wind will have less to catch.

Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version