Author Topic: Chilli Plants - is it too hot?  (Read 3163 times)

newspud9

• Half Acre
Chilli Plants - is it too hot?
« on: August 09, 2022, 16:37:25 »
Not sure the variety, but my chilli plants have been doing well and the fruits are about 1cm.  I keep them outside in pots with a straw mulch and lightly water them every other day...but they are beginning to wilt in the recent temperature which is only going to get hotter.  I have read that a stressed out chilli produces hotter fruit but I don't want to push them over the edge so have put them in the shade.  Should I have left them in the full sun?  Thanks for all the advice 

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Chilli Plants - is it too hot?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 11:33:17 »
I’ve just moved quite a few of my plants into direct sunlight from my greenhouse and I was concert they were getting Kent’s of heat but perhaps not enough light as there were a lot of plants crammed in there! I put the pots on trays and leave some water in the trays in the morning, and after two days have seen a significant colour change on the unripe chillies, no wilting of the foliage.

I wonder if your plants need a good soak at least daily, or perhaps you could sit them on a tray or similar so they can draw up water in the heat to avoid the wilting?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2022, 18:14:37 »
My chilis have been out in the full sun all summer, temps up to 45c, with no issues other than it is a pain keeping them watered.  They do drop in full sun but perk up again at night - just a natural reaction.  It is said that stress will make more heat in the fruit - some of my padrons last year were d**n hot and they are not really supposed to be hot at all but that could have been down to watering..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2022, 22:58:14 »
I would give priority to keeping the plants healthy.  If they need shade why not oblige?  That way you will have plenty of chillies even if they may not be quite as high up on the Scoville scale as a Carolina reaper. 

Is that really an issue?  To produce a curry or con carne or other spicy dish that has the level of heat that suits your taste the obvious answer is to control the number of chillies used.  I can't see any particular need to produce the hottest you can!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2022, 08:31:19 »
If a chilli is wilting in heat it just needs more water.   Think about Bolivia, their country of origin, and the natural heat there.
Obxx - Vendée France

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2022, 09:06:56 »
I grew Carolina Reapers for a few years as his Lordship was always complaining the chillies I grew weren’t hot enough……he still wasn’t impressed with them but I think I just couldn’t provide the temperatures required to get them to ramp up their Scoville levels. And then I started growing Prairie Fire….little compact plants, mature early and little pointed fruits..deceptively small but wow so hot! Two of those in his chilli and he grudgingly admitted perhaps one might have been enough! I used half of one once, too hot for me!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2022, 20:38:24 »
Update, his Lordship is cooking with the latest fresh batch of Prairie Fire chillies tonight……fully ripe and pretty hot judging by his red face after ill advisably crunching on one to see how hot it is……answer ‘b***** hot!!  That’ll teach him….. :tongue3:

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 08:00:16 »
Let's hope he knew towash his hands very thoroughly before touching his eyes or other sensitive parts!
Obxx - Vendée France

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2022, 14:16:09 »
Let's hope he knew towash his hands very thoroughly before touching his eyes or other sensitive parts!

He’s already learned that the hard way! I wear contact lenses and have to be very careful not to touch my face after chopping chillies, you pay for it if you forget!!!

We have to  keep a separate chopping board for chillies as despite scrubbing/ dishwasher/ lemon and salt cleaning you still get a chilli effect if you dare use it for anything else!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2022, 08:38:01 »
I grew Carolina Reapers once and never bothered again.  They were insanely hot.  I made a batch of infused chili oil with them and it was like chemical warfare in the kitchen, I couldn't breathe and could hardly open my eyes!
I find that oil is a good way to remove chili heat if it touches something sensitive.  I got some in my eyes and wiped them with a cloth and olive oil and it worked a treat.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 10:03:49 »
Must admit I like my chillies medium heat and fruity so I can still taste what I'm eating and not have my mouth anaesthetised.

I tried Lemon Drop last year and they were perfect so imagine my chagrin when OH "weeded" the two I was growing this year because they didn't look like tomatoes growing in the same bed.   I pointed out the clues - twirly metal stake and a label.   Doh!

He has bought me two Apache chillies which are nowhere near as interesting and, unfortunately, my other chilli seedlings failed.   Good job I have supplies frozen in ice cub trays. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 10:29:59 »
I've grown Jalapeno and Hungarian Black for a couple of years which (mostly) did not have any noticeable heat but did add some flavour to dishes. This year I've added Hot Lemon, Prairie Fire and Heatwave Improved. These are now ripening nicely and Prairie Fire certainly has something more!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal