Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Chilli Plants - is it too hot?

<< < (2/3) > >>

Deb P:
I grew Carolina Reapers for a few years as his Lordship was always complaining the chillies I grew weren’t hot enough……he still wasn’t impressed with them but I think I just couldn’t provide the temperatures required to get them to ramp up their Scoville levels. And then I started growing Prairie Fire….little compact plants, mature early and little pointed fruits..deceptively small but wow so hot! Two of those in his chilli and he grudgingly admitted perhaps one might have been enough! I used half of one once, too hot for me!

Deb P:
Update, his Lordship is cooking with the latest fresh batch of Prairie Fire chillies tonight……fully ripe and pretty hot judging by his red face after ill advisably crunching on one to see how hot it is……answer ‘b***** hot!!  That’ll teach him….. :tongue3:

Obelixx:
Let's hope he knew towash his hands very thoroughly before touching his eyes or other sensitive parts!

Deb P:

--- Quote from: Obelixx on August 15, 2022, 08:00:16 ---Let's hope he knew towash his hands very thoroughly before touching his eyes or other sensitive parts!

--- End quote ---

He’s already learned that the hard way! I wear contact lenses and have to be very careful not to touch my face after chopping chillies, you pay for it if you forget!!!

We have to  keep a separate chopping board for chillies as despite scrubbing/ dishwasher/ lemon and salt cleaning you still get a chilli effect if you dare use it for anything else!

BarriedaleNick:
I grew Carolina Reapers once and never bothered again.  They were insanely hot.  I made a batch of infused chili oil with them and it was like chemical warfare in the kitchen, I couldn't breathe and could hardly open my eyes!
I find that oil is a good way to remove chili heat if it touches something sensitive.  I got some in my eyes and wiped them with a cloth and olive oil and it worked a treat.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version