Author Topic: Good luck with the incoming heat wave!  (Read 4868 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
Re: Good luck with the incoming heat wave!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2022, 15:36:32 »
So hot and dry here my well has run dry.  I'll have to wait to see if it refills but it could mean the end of the season for me..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2022, 16:46:35 »
Our house deeds say we have to share our well water with neighbours in times of need but it's been dry for decades.   Thankfully, we're on mains water so we have all mod cons but, as it's metered, we don't waste any on grass or flower beds except when the latter are first planted.  There were none when we came.

I'd rather pay a higher water bill and save my fruit and veg than buy stuff I can grow myself and know what's been used to grow it.  No pesticides or herbicides here. 
Obxx - Vendée France

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2022, 19:11:19 »
Apart from one hour of light rain on the 2nd we've had no rain at all in July here in Torbay. I have 6 water butts but they ran dry two weeks ago so with a guilty conscience and no rain forecast for the foreseeable future I filled two of them from the mains. Once a week my garden helper, John, has  been giving my raised veggie beds a good drenching thus completely emptying them. With still no rain forecast and John off on holiday for the next 2 weeks, we decided today to again refill two butts so that, hopefully, my friend and neighbour can water the veggies for me. Already, some of the runner beans have withered on the poles so I don't want to lose anything else :BangHead:.

Tricia  :wave:

pumkinlover

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2022, 07:46:41 »
Oh that's rather disheartening.
My crab apple tree dumped it's entire crop overnight, but we managed to salvage enough for one pot of crab apple jelly.

We are having rain here,not huge amounts but better than nothing.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2022, 09:08:44 »
It hasn't rained since May here and then that wasn't much.  The winter rains never really came this year and the country is facing some real issues so a dry well is a minor thing.  I'll eke out a bit of town water for some crops but some will just have to make do - I can't afford to use thousands of litres of metered water!  Luckily I have got most of the toms in and this is sort of a break period anyway before I start planting over winter stuff but still annoying to loose good veg..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal