Author Topic: Leeks  (Read 3578 times)

pumkinlover

Leeks
« on: July 17, 2022, 07:21:18 »
First time I've managed to grow leeks to the fabled "pencil" thickness (well almost) and it's too hot to plant them! just need to keep them till we get back to normal

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 14:28:51 »
Mine are more like thick blades of grass……so I’m in no hurry to plant out yet! I’m planning them going in after my early potatoes are harvested, but they haven’t even flowered yet so it looks like I still have to wait!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 07:45:50 »
Leeks are planted now, and well watered in. Ground was a bit hard to get them in deep with the dibber and there was no way I was going to dig! so fingers crossed.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 13:14:39 »
Me too!  :happy7: the
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

pumkinlover

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 06:34:19 »
After such a good start my leeks succumbed to allium leaf miner.  :BangHead:

All in the bin now.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2022, 18:57:50 »
Commiserations. That's really disappointing. No possibility of rescuing bits to eat here and there? Was it your first time with allium leaf miner? Just wondering whether you've tried covering them with mesh.
I thought I had allium leaf miner earlier this year. I'm still not sure whether it was, but I've covered with mesh this autumn in case. It's something I'm on the watch out for as I suffered from white rot for ages and then found a different rot-free area to grow alliums in, so especially keen to avoid further devastations!

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2022, 08:17:15 »
I've had odd bits affected before but never so bad that the plants were collapsing all over the place.  Decided it was best to clear out in the hope of protecting the onions I am still planting on the next bed.
I'll probably give leeks a miss next year then use mesh.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal