Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Compost for free ( nearly)

<< < (3/3)

JanG:
In support of the virtues of woodchip, I became convinced of its fertility even when not fully rotted. A couple of years ago I had a tallish heap of fairly fresh woodchip. A squash seed somehow managed to self-sow itself on top of the heap. An impressively vigorous and high yielding squash plant developed, spreading itself over an adjacent lowish barn roof as well as down the heap and fifteen feet or so across the ground. It was certainly a very happy squash plant.

picman:
The wood chip addition seems to be favorite , i have been topping up my experimental  'ton' bag with more wood chip, a little manure and grass cuttings,  I have a secret ingredient too... the run off from a covered area drains into a butt on the site, its under some tall trees, the water it collects is brown, I have used it before on my compost heap, seems to quickly aid the breakdown.  Looking at the peat free compost seems to be mainly wood fiber and sand .

Hepsibah:
I'm a horse owner with an allotment and a multi fuel stove and this year I have been making poo-bricks to dry and burn this winter. It seems the resulting ash is terrific stuff to spread on the soil.
https://www.backwoodshome.com/your-manure-pile/?fbclid=IwAR03-bpVu4oj6Scat_1IREeE6fSoTxwjv9wdXWWLYQGefVY-xAiaFQzkssY
If you have a source of fresh horse muck and a wood burner, perhaps it might be worth considering.

Paulh:
It's one way of keeping the fuel bills down!

Do they float? So you can play pooh-sticks with your poo-bricks?

pumkinlover:

--- Quote from: Hepsibah on August 07, 2022, 17:40:41 ---I'm a horse owner with an allotment and a multi fuel stove and this year I have been making poo-bricks to dry and burn this winter. It seems the resulting ash is terrific stuff to spread on the soil.
https://www.backwoodshome.com/your-manure-pile/?fbclid=IwAR03-bpVu4oj6Scat_1IREeE6fSoTxwjv9wdXWWLYQGefVY-xAiaFQzkssY
If you have a source of fresh horse muck and a wood burner, perhaps it might be worth considering.

--- End quote ---

Reminds me of the story from a nursing colleague in a rural area. She visited an elderly lady who asked her to get something out of the sideboard. In it were packages of neatly wrapped dried human poo. Despite having a gas fire now she was still making firelighters with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version