Allotment Stuff > The Basics

What do you plant leeks with?

<< < (2/2)

saddad:
Excellent advice as always Tee Gee... we dibber them in with an old spade handle which we have shaped like a dibber..

Deb P:
Me too, my over enthusiastic son managed to wreck a perfectly good staining steel fork digging post holes, but OH turned the handle end to make a great long dibber! Silver lining and all that….

Tiny Clanger:
Hi, I use the same method. Upended hanle of an old hoe, drop in leek,water leave. Half get top and tiled, half don't- I like to see which does best. Currently, topping and tailing when moving on from seed tray seems to work best. Very nearly got "pencils" this year :blob7

Deb P:
I ended up having to use a trowel last week to plant mine….using the dibber the hole just collapsed as the soil was just too dry! 😬

Tiny Clanger:
I used an old hoe this year which is no longer used for its proper job.  It did OK.  Ive used a long handled bulb planter too which worked weel, but forgot to take it to the plot this time.  Ive used "top & tail" method and not topping & tailing.  Bother seem to do as well.  My leeks look a bit dry this season in spite of watering well to get them going and trying to give more after hot days.  We'll have to wait and see how things go.  I think theyve got the only bit of free ground that has no white rot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version