Allotment Stuff > The Basics

What do you plant leeks with?

(1/2) > >>

gray1720:
I use the "Bore hole. Drop leek in. Water in. Forget" method for leeks - in practice I use the handle of one of my hoes to make the hole. This year I used my Dutch hoe  and, in doing so, roughed up the end of the handle enough to take a lump of skin off the palm of my hand. This is obviously a Bad Thing.

So... what do others use? I'm curious as to whether I can get something that saves me buggering up my hoe  handles and hands!

Paulh:
I use a dibber (though not this year, as not growing leeks), which is made from a fork / spade handle. Then drop and water.

I don't trim the roots or the leaves, but hold firmly so the smaller ones aren't buried.

gray1720:
Good point - I have a fork handle that I didn't chuck when I broke the fork off the end!

Beersmith:
It's a bulb planter for me. It makes a wide deep hole which suits my light soil.  Too narrow and it soon falls in restricting growth.  I water regularly until well established, then forget them.

Mine are ok so far although I fear a week of temperatures in the high 20s or low 30s may be very bad for them.

Well very bad for everything really! 

Tee Gee:
Like Beersmith, I use a bulb planter for the simple reason I grow my seedlings in 3" pots initially, and it is easier to plant them this way!

Years ago I did the hole drilling method, but sometimes at planting out time up here in the wild & woolly North  the weather/soil conditions did not always suit this method.

So I found that growing them on initially  in a coldframe worked better for me!

There are a few pictures here on how I did this; https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/L/Leeks/Leeks.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version