Author Topic: What do you plant leeks with?  (Read 2450 times)

gray1720

• Hectare
What do you plant leeks with?
« on: July 10, 2022, 19:38:22 »
I use the "Bore hole. Drop leek in. Water in. Forget" method for leeks - in practice I use the handle of one of my hoes to make the hole. This year I used my Dutch hoe  and, in doing so, roughed up the end of the handle enough to take a lump of skin off the palm of my hand. This is obviously a Bad Thing.

So... what do others use? I'm curious as to whether I can get something that saves me buggering up my hoe  handles and hands!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Paulh

• Hectare
Re: What do you plant leeks with?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2022, 22:35:24 »
I use a dibber (though not this year, as not growing leeks), which is made from a fork / spade handle. Then drop and water.

I don't trim the roots or the leaves, but hold firmly so the smaller ones aren't buried.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 11:44:17 »
Good point - I have a fork handle that I didn't chuck when I broke the fork off the end!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 12:35:57 »
It's a bulb planter for me. It makes a wide deep hole which suits my light soil.  Too narrow and it soon falls in restricting growth.  I water regularly until well established, then forget them.

Mine are ok so far although I fear a week of temperatures in the high 20s or low 30s may be very bad for them.

Well very bad for everything really! 
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2022, 13:13:55 »
Like Beersmith, I use a bulb planter for the simple reason I grow my seedlings in 3" pots initially, and it is easier to plant them this way!

Years ago I did the hole drilling method, but sometimes at planting out time up here in the wild & woolly North  the weather/soil conditions did not always suit this method.

So I found that growing them on initially  in a coldframe worked better for me!

There are a few pictures here on how I did this; https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/L/Leeks/Leeks.htm

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 22:36:52 »
Excellent advice as always Tee Gee... we dibber them in with an old spade handle which we have shaped like a dibber..

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 11:29:36 »
Me too, my over enthusiastic son managed to wreck a perfectly good staining steel fork digging post holes, but OH turned the handle end to make a great long dibber! Silver lining and all that….
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2022, 15:47:03 »
Hi, I use the same method. Upended hanle of an old hoe, drop in leek,water leave. Half get top and tiled, half don't- I like to see which does best. Currently, topping and tailing when moving on from seed tray seems to work best. Very nearly got "pencils" this year :blob7
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2022, 09:08:34 »
I ended up having to use a trowel last week to plant mine….using the dibber the hole just collapsed as the soil was just too dry! 😬
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 11:02:56 »
I used an old hoe this year which is no longer used for its proper job.  It did OK.  Ive used a long handled bulb planter too which worked weel, but forgot to take it to the plot this time.  Ive used "top & tail" method and not topping & tailing.  Bother seem to do as well.  My leeks look a bit dry this season in spite of watering well to get them going and trying to give more after hot days.  We'll have to wait and see how things go.  I think theyve got the only bit of free ground that has no white rot.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal