Author Topic: Welsh Onions  (Read 1068 times)

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
Welsh Onions
« on: July 07, 2022, 07:23:33 »
Has anyone grown Welsh onions? I understand they are a perennial onion. Are they eaten like spring onions? Can you eat the bulbs and the leaves? Are they left in the ground or do you lift them and replant?

Duke 🙂🙂
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Welsh Onions
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 10:47:40 »
They are really daffodils :toothy10:

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 13:50:17 »
Yes, they are perennial and multiply at the base to form clumps, which can be divided or left depending on how/where you'd like them to grow. The more that populate the clump, the smaller each individual onion will be. They do not bulb up and are eaten like spring onions, leaves and all. You can earth up to make the white shank longer.

When they go dormant, which I've witnessed in both summer and midwinter, they die back and form little bulbs underground, resuming growth when conditions are favourable.

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 14:16:18 »
I grow them and they do indeed resemble chives if you leave them to form large clumps.  I split a large clump in hte spring of this year and planted 8 new ones from it.  They are all thriving.  I leave them alone all year round and they go dormant here in winter, popping up again in the spring. Useful plants to have in the plot.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 18:03:51 »
I swapped for some and they are settling in well...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal