Author Topic: Longest keeping tomato?  (Read 2825 times)

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
Longest keeping tomato?
« on: July 06, 2022, 13:21:58 »
I've had this little golden tomato sitting on the kitchen window sill since Sept/Oct. It's not one of the pre-refrigeration storage varieties from southern Europe, just a cherry tomato.

After a certain point mid-winter I decided to let it be and see how long it could go; 7 months later and it looks mostly unchanged.. perhaps a slight wrinkle or two has appeared.

Anyone else inadvertently housed a tomato well beyond its expected lifespan?

('Ivory Tears' is the variety)

small

• Hectare
Re: Longest keeping tomato?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 15:27:21 »
I've had them keep a couple of months, but not like yours! No way of course to tell what it tastes like till it's gone too bad to try....

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 13:13:44 »
I found one in the greenhouse recently from last year. Again a small cherry type. But I didn't taste it either!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 18:07:32 »
I grew a variety from HSL... called Garden Peach (?) it was about twenty years ago... not a furry one (Red Peach) and it would "stand" well into January... off the vine. By March the fruit was full of emerging seedlings...
Apparently it was bred in the late 1920's early '30's before we started importing toms from abroad...

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 12:54:57 »
I remember Garden Peach, it was so sweet it was almost like eating a peach too! 😂
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 19:06:46 »
I remember growing a tomato that was more like a peach in looks and taste about 30 years ago. A friend gave me 1 plant and I never did ask what variety it was. Never found anything like it since.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2022, 11:26:27 »
I grew a variety called ‘Sundried’ one year and it cropped late but kept going until after Christmas….
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2022, 22:38:48 »
Was that "sundried" as in miscellaneous?

Not much sunshine in December and January!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2022, 22:52:52 »
I had a similar thing with "Sweet Million" (think that's the name). I'd grown them hard, i.e. outside, no extra water, and the skins were a bit tough. Lots survived for a long time. I kept the seeds.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2022, 14:45:42 »
Was that "sundried" as in miscellaneous?

Not much sunshine in December and January!

Sun Dried variety, I purchased years ago from;
https://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/heirloom-varieties/heirloom-vegetables/tomato-sun-dried-tomatoes-0353

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2022, 22:38:46 »
Lorenzo, new on our site above my bottom plots has a "winter-drying tomato" which we are trying this year...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal