Author Topic: White rot and allium leaf miner  (Read 1204 times)

bombus

• Quarter Acre
White rot and allium leaf miner
« on: June 17, 2022, 16:58:48 »
I cannot grow Onions, Garlic, or spring onions because of the dreaded White Rot. Now for the last couple of years i have to net my leeks because of Allium Leaf Miner. Now commercial growers must have some insecticide spray they are able to use. Anyone know what it is?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: White rot and allium leaf miner
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 17:46:17 »
I found this online - https://sustainable-farming.rutgers.edu/organic-farm-calls-white-rot-on-garlic-leek-onion/#:~:text=Even%20conventional%20agriculture%20has%20limited,35%20(Dichloropropene%20and%20chloropicrin).

You need a fungicide.   The French are big on making their own or buying a "purin" concentrate made from horsetail.   It's apparently effective as both prevention and treatment for all sorts of fungal things like peach leaf curl, tomato and potato blight.

1kilo fresh horsetail
9 litres of calcium free water

Combine the two in a plastic bucket - not metal - and leave for 2 weeks.  Stir occasionally.  It's ready when the water has gone black.  It will smell so you may want a lid.

Strain the resulting liquid, put the goo on the compost heap and dilute the rest 1 part to 9 parts water and spray.  Not harmful to plants or insects.
Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 08:54:57 »
There has been a bit of chat on here about using garlic/onion concoctions to treat white rot.
https://www.mgabc.org/node/2751#:~:text=Since%20the%20fungus%20is%20stimulated,fungus%20will%20starve%20and%20die.

It seems to work at least lessening the severity..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 15:00:23 »
I have recently submitted several posts in the basics section of allotments4all regarding white rot on alliums. I respectively suggest that you have a look under the basics section to see if it answers your problem. It works for me and so far this season it continues to do so.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 15:00:41 »
I have recently submitted several posts in the basics section of allotments4all regarding white rot on alliums. I respectively suggest that you have a look under the basics section to see if it answers your problem. It works for me and so far this season it continues to do so.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal