Author Topic: Courgettes  (Read 1659 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Courgettes
« on: June 13, 2022, 11:33:21 »
Now I no longer have an allotment I bought some courgettes. When I got home I realised they were from Spain. When next in Morrisons they did have British ones so dont understand why they had Spanish ones. Remembering the times I was trying to give them away.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Courgettes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2022, 13:13:19 »
So many seed companies import seeds from all over the world and repackage them for sale in the uk, it’s hard to determine the true origins on the seed packets. I purchased some Cosmos seeds from Sarah Raven a few years ago, and some plants produced tall plants with very late flowers….I found out why last year when I went on one of her courses, they source some of their Cosmos seed from Morocco, so the seed needs higher temperatures to trigger germination and flowering….
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2022, 22:09:53 »
I wonder if this is just about the seasons.  My allotment courgettes are still a few weeks away from cropping.  The Spanish climate probably produces earlier and before UK production ramps up in early summer.  I've seen a similar thing with fruit. In March Strawberries are all flown in from warmer climes.  As spring progresses more and more are sourced from UK suppliers. 

Not mad, just out to mulch!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 10:08:05 »
We have been picking courgettes for almost a month and no doubt with a bit more skill and a polytunnel I could have been picking them for most of the year.  I suspect most stores have been buying them from all over util the UK ones start to come into season..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 13:59:37 »
So many seed companies import seeds from all over the world and repackage them for sale in the UK, it's hard to determine the true origins on the seed packets. I purchased some Cosmos seeds from Sarah Raven a few years ago, and some plants produced tall plants with very late flowers….I found out why last year when I went on one of her courses, they source some of their Cosmos seed from Morocco, so the seed needs higher temperatures to trigger germination and flowering….

Duh, I realise I totally got the wrong end of the stick replying to the initial post, sorry! My obsession with seeds blinding me there!

As others have already said, my courgettes (only four plants at the allotment, learning from previous gluts!) have only been planted out last week with protection, friends growing further south are more advanced as you might expect. I much prefer my grown courgettes to purchased ones, thinner skins and freshness outweigh the chore of finding new uses for the inevitable proliferation that follows! My favourite is spiralling them into spaghetti to use in place of pasta, yum!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 12:29:14 »

favourite is spiralling them into spaghetti to use in place of pasta, yum!
That spiralling is so slimey, I gave it up. Prefer ratatouille or as I am doing with todays pickings fried with garlic and mushrooms, a few slivers of chorizo then rendered down in balsamic until it is nice and sticky. Better than that  spaghetti slop.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 16:39:53 »
I rather like raw courgette grated or spiralled and dressed with lemon juice and olive oil and maybe a squeeze of fresh garlic plus S&P.

Never did get on with ratatouille - too wet and soggy for me - but I love those same vegetables chopped and roasted with garlic and rosemary.  Nice bit of caramelisation and concentration of flavours and no soggy mess.

I've bought some Spanish courgettes today as our plants have only been in the ground 10 days and are only just thinking about flowering.   37.5C today and no rain in sight so the seep hose is going to be needed.
Obxx - Vendée France

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal