Author Topic: White Rot  (Read 2402 times)

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
White Rot
« on: June 02, 2022, 06:39:11 »
Lost my garlic and shallots to white rot - again! I'd overwintered them. Oh well, at least I'm finding out where the white rot patches are on the plot. Off to the Horse feed suppliers. Going to try the powdered garlic treatment. Not got enough onion waste to try that and I can't guarantee it will compost at the required 50 Deg. for 3 days. Just hope I've got a rot free patch to put the leeks in  :BangHead:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Plot22

• Half Acre
Re: White Rot
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 07:17:11 »
I also suffer with white rot but 2 years ago I started using the garlic powder method. The first year I was a bit late using it but the results were an improvement. Last year I kept the same bed and used the garlic powder around September the previous year. I know the thing about crop rotation but my dad never moved his onion bed . I had set 300 onions in the bed expecting to loose at least 20% but the losses were in single figures. I kept the same bed for this year and so far so good. I took a tip from Tee Gee and only watered my onions the day I put them in. It is the same with the garlic bed 200 plus set and they look good at the moment. We are going to the allotment tomorrow to take the scrapes off the elephant garlic so we will be digging a couple out to test the water. Both beds are covered as we also suffer from Allium Leaf Miner and Downey Mildew. On the onions I grow Hylander, Toughball and Santero to combat Allium Leaf Miner and Downey Mildew.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 07:39:40 by Plot22 »

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 15:01:31 »
Thanks for that Plot 22. I bought some Eschalotte Grise from King's and put them in next to the garlic. Both to over winter. The garlic was Taylors, always done OK before and the 5 cloves I had left over were planted elsewhere. They are fine. I have onions growing on another patch Sturon, Reisen and one I overwintering but can't  recall the name. They seem to be fine. Could I have imported the white rot on the shallot sets? I rarely water onions.  I listen to what Tee Gee says too. He's  good isnt he?. I will use the garlic powder  as you did. Let's hope we get a good outcome. Many thanks again xx
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Plot22

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2022, 11:04:21 »
I forgot to mention that I grow Golden Bear to combat the white rot  and they seem to do the best of the varieties that I grow. Having said that last year was the best that I have had for the last 5 years. The important thing is that you have to put the garlic powder down when it is still warm but not red hot and give it time to work. I will take my onions up by the end of August and in September rake the powder into the bed. In November I will cover the bed with well rotted farmyard manure and dig it in around March. The white rot has only one chance to find and attack alliums if it fails it will die.
I don't know where mine came from  it may have come on shallots or garlic but I will never know. I can only speak from my experience. We use the white garlic powder not the brown for 2 reasons. First if you have any left over the brown will go hard and is difficult to use the following year and the white remains a powder and can be used in cooking or so it says on the packet.
I tried a couple of my garlic yesterday and they were fine. I will give them another 2/3 weeks and take them up

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2022, 21:34:04 »
So very grateful for that. Will make sure we get this done in September. X

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2022, 21:42:11 »
I tried a couple of my garlic yesterday and they were fine. I will give them another 2/3 weeks and take them up

I lifted my garlic yesterday. Little or no rot. They had established well last autumn and grown well this spring for a while but about three weeks ago started to show signs of severe rust.  It got worse and worse and got so bad  there was no real possibility of any further healthy growth so out they came.  Decent yield considering. Now drying off.   The onion family can be very very difficult. Not that I do it myself but some plot holders near me now grow under insect mesh to avoid allium leaf miner. Another one of a long list of pests.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 07:18:36 »
Rust has been bad for me this year too, and the wet ground is not ideal for leaving them in place much longer. I lifted some of mine yesterday, and will watch the rest carefully for a week or so.

A suspicion of white rot on four or five bulbs, so I’ll put some garlic powder down. I appreciated Plot 22’s advice and I’m wondering whether it’s effective to put the powder down immediately after lifting as long as it’s not too hot. By September, the bed will have become a brassica bed so just not quite as easy to deal with.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 13:26:05 »
My garlic is a bit odd this year, a couple of weeks ago it was looking green and well grown, now it has a few plants that look almost desiccated all of a sudden, the rest have rust but have gone very yellow as well. I pulled a couple today that looked really dry…..and they have white rot! The bulbs are firm but no roots left and have the grey white fungus on the outer coat. Never had it in that bed before…🙄Looks like a cull might be in order!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2022, 12:28:36 »
Re Garlic powder. Could anyone please tell me how much to apply per sq.m.?  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal