Allotment Stuff > The Basics

White Rot

<< < (2/2)

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Plot22 on June 04, 2022, 11:04:21 ---.
I tried a couple of my garlic yesterday and they were fine. I will give them another 2/3 weeks and take them up

--- End quote ---

I lifted my garlic yesterday. Little or no rot. They had established well last autumn and grown well this spring for a while but about three weeks ago started to show signs of severe rust.  It got worse and worse and got so bad  there was no real possibility of any further healthy growth so out they came.  Decent yield considering. Now drying off.   The onion family can be very very difficult. Not that I do it myself but some plot holders near me now grow under insect mesh to avoid allium leaf miner. Another one of a long list of pests.

JanG:
Rust has been bad for me this year too, and the wet ground is not ideal for leaving them in place much longer. I lifted some of mine yesterday, and will watch the rest carefully for a week or so.

A suspicion of white rot on four or five bulbs, so I’ll put some garlic powder down. I appreciated Plot 22’s advice and I’m wondering whether it’s effective to put the powder down immediately after lifting as long as it’s not too hot. By September, the bed will have become a brassica bed so just not quite as easy to deal with.

Deb P:
My garlic is a bit odd this year, a couple of weeks ago it was looking green and well grown, now it has a few plants that look almost desiccated all of a sudden, the rest have rust but have gone very yellow as well. I pulled a couple today that looked really dry…..and they have white rot! The bulbs are firm but no roots left and have the grey white fungus on the outer coat. Never had it in that bed before…🙄Looks like a cull might be in order!

Tiny Clanger:
Re Garlic powder. Could anyone please tell me how much to apply per sq.m.?  :wave:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version