Author Topic: First toms of the season!  (Read 1239 times)

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
First toms of the season!
« on: May 27, 2022, 14:54:32 »

We are a month or so ahead here I guess. These are some Black Cherry toms but some of the larger ones are reddening too
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: First toms of the season!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 15:58:08 »
You mention that you are a month in front of us, and it reminded me of an exercise I did about 20 years ago where I asked the members of a forum I was on to give me their last frost dates and their approximate location plus a few other common questions, which they duly did.

I then added a grid to a Met Office map of the UK and plotted the answers I received to produce this web page to assist viewers how to adjust the dates when I do things to suit their location. As I recall, I received a number of replies remarking on how useful it was.

I have often wondered if global warming might have altered the data on this page. My gut feeling is the changes we are experiencing are still relatively the same across the nation because we are an island.

Had we been on mainland Europe, I might be thinking differently.

Perhaps you ex-pats could give your opinion on this thought!

https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/F/Frost%20zones/Frost%20Zones.htm

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 20:51:16 »
Interesting Tee Gee.   We moved here on 1/10/16 after completing the purchase in July that year.   My pre-move research indicated adequate rainfall - tho less, obviously than in Belgium - and summer temps averaged about 28C with no nasty winter freezes.

We had temps around 40C in the week in August when we came to start decorating bedrooms before the move.  Our first winter was mild but very dry, 13 months of drought in fact before any serious rain in December 2017.   Major re-think on gardening plans then.

Since then we haven't had 2 winters the same or, indeed, 2 springs, summers or autumns.   Temperatures are off the scale for a few weeks in every summer and rainfall is just bizarre.  Nevertheless, as long as I steer clear of summer beans and sweetcorn, I've done fine with veggie crops and am getting the hang of the ornamentals' needs.

Obxx - Vendée France

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 12:53:49 »
I'm not sure I have been here long enough to comment on changes to the climate but locals do comment on how it is hotter than it used to be - more importantly drier.  It probably wont rain now, at least properly, for months and it makes for a challenge. Without a well we wouldn't grow much as all water here is metered and we would use maybe 500 litres a day!
It was about 36C yesterday - I had planted some stuff out a day earlier and if I hadn't got to them in time they would have been dead.
Seasons can also be very variable here.  Sometimes summer starts in March and other years May can be gloomy and damp.  Still if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be as much fun eh?
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2022, 13:49:28 »
Still, if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be as much fun, eh?

True!

Over the last three years, April has been warmer than May, although I would have to say this May has been a bit warmer than the previous two.

I must say that events like these have certainly posed a challenge for me, more so since I am using 'containers' a lot more, so my watering regime has changed. The rain this last week has been a true god send, as I have done quite a bit of planting out this past week!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2022, 15:30:46 »
I have two Alicante toms ripe in the conservatory, planned for lunch tomorrow - I think it's the first time I've ever managed toms in May. And that's in the chilly East Midlands!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 09:19:44 »
Even knowing where you are, I am impressed. Mine are on the bathroom windowsill getting leggier and leggier as it's so bloomin' chilly here - the peppers are thriving amidst them, obviously a bit tougher...
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 12:56:13 »
Considering I hadn’t sown any seeds at all until 29th April I’ve got a full greenhouse! The tomatoes have been potted on twice and will be going into their final big pots in the next two weeks hopefully. I’m just keeping an eye on the night temps before starting to harden off the bush types that are destined for the allotment mid June with protection. So nowhere near fruit yet, but I haven’t had to heat the greenhouse at all at night so sowing late had helped saving on the electricity costs this year!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal