Allotment Stuff > The Basics

Seed trays

<< < (5/5)

Harry:

--- Quote from: Obelixx on May 26, 2022, 12:33:43 --- I save larger plastic trays form buying chicken legs or breasts in packs of 12

--- End quote ---
I do this. Though not in compartments, I use those plastic meat trays with or without loo roll separators, then another tray as the lid.

Vinlander:
I like to use cells for shallot seeds but once they are up I want to pot them on because unlike leeks they seem to object to any crowding.

After fiddling about for ages with spoons & forks I now line the cell with something/anything permeable that will let me lift the heavy contents out with the seedling still in it - because the pathetic smooth, straight unbranched roots at this stage are the worst possible at holding on to what they are growing in. I've used wetwipes cut into quarters, doubled up onion sacks (& the half-cm mesh on mandarin boxes), Jcloths, holey socks and dozens of other things that are either biodegradable or easy to see when tidying up (brown or black socks are only acceptable if 100% cotton or wool).

I would love to use rootrainers for everything else but I object to paying for something of much lower quality than the trays sausages come in - especially if I'm paying a price that could only be justified by using the alloy that beercans are made of - and gold-plated at that.

I thought the retail trade had gone barking mad decades ago - as soon as everything went past 50% profit margins & headed for the 200% that was only normal for shoes - but now it's beyond Upminster and looking to go past Holland.

Cheers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version