Produce > Edible Plants

Riesentraube cherry tomato

(1/3) > >>

Gordonmull:
I'm trying this variety for the first time this year but the last wee while I've been eyeing it suspiciously. The plants are very compact with prominent sideshoots. They kind of have a determinate look about them. Double checked and they are supposed to be vines but also noted in a few places selling the seed that mentioned its "numerous sideshoots" produced lots of fruit.

Am I approaching growing cherries the wrong way? I was heading in the direction of what I'd do for a standard vine salad tomato like Alicante, i.e. a single vine and pruning the sideshoots but am I needing to engineer some sort of cage thingy instead?

Beersmith:
That's the thing about tomato side shoots.  You can be really diligent in pinching them out, but if you don't pay attention one of them will grow six inches while you are sitting in the shed drinking a coffee.

pumkinlover:
From what I have read up it looks like another category of description is needed a sort of bushy vine. Oh and a large greenhouse!

Gordonmull:

--- Quote from: pumpkinlover on May 15, 2022, 14:03:49 ---From what I have read up it looks like another category of description is needed a sort of bushy vine. Oh and a large greenhouse!

--- End quote ---

Yeah that's what I afraid of. I'll let them go and see what happens. Prune to keep it under control but let a few shoots grow.

Beersmith:
I have a vague memory that determinate tomatoes tend to crop and ripen over a shorter time period whereas indeterminate will carry on cropping and ripening over a longer period until they get hit by blight or deteriorating weather.

Anyone know if this is correct or just my unreliable memory?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version