Author Topic: Riesentraube cherry tomato  (Read 1986 times)

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
Riesentraube cherry tomato
« on: May 14, 2022, 20:14:30 »
I'm trying this variety for the first time this year but the last wee while I've been eyeing it suspiciously. The plants are very compact with prominent sideshoots. They kind of have a determinate look about them. Double checked and they are supposed to be vines but also noted in a few places selling the seed that mentioned its "numerous sideshoots" produced lots of fruit.

Am I approaching growing cherries the wrong way? I was heading in the direction of what I'd do for a standard vine salad tomato like Alicante, i.e. a single vine and pruning the sideshoots but am I needing to engineer some sort of cage thingy instead?

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Riesentraube cherry tomato
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2022, 21:44:35 »
That's the thing about tomato side shoots.  You can be really diligent in pinching them out, but if you don't pay attention one of them will grow six inches while you are sitting in the shed drinking a coffee.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 14:03:49 »
From what I have read up it looks like another category of description is needed a sort of bushy vine. Oh and a large greenhouse!

Gordonmull

• Acre
  • Grangemouth. On clay, becoming clay loam...slowly
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 22:44:14 »
From what I have read up it looks like another category of description is needed a sort of bushy vine. Oh and a large greenhouse!

Yeah that's what I afraid of. I'll let them go and see what happens. Prune to keep it under control but let a few shoots grow.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 21:45:23 »
I have a vague memory that determinate tomatoes tend to crop and ripen over a shorter time period whereas indeterminate will carry on cropping and ripening over a longer period until they get hit by blight or deteriorating weather.

Anyone know if this is correct or just my unreliable memory?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2022, 07:25:08 »
That would make sense.... but can't say I've given it any thought.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 08:43:37 »
Yes determinate tend to crop at once and that is what they grow here by the million - you don't pinch them out. They have been bred so that the fruit lasts on the plant and then they are harvested in one go.  Indeterminate can keep on producing for ages given the right conditions.
I have got some Summerlast toms - they are a dwarf variety but I have no idea if I am supposed to pinch them out or not.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 05:09:18 »
I always feel uncertain what to expect with determinate tomatoes. Some of them are vigorous, sprawl everywhere and still need some kind of support.
This year I have Urbikany, originally from Real Seeds. They say,” The large sprawling bushes only grow about 3' tall, but definitely need several stakes or strings to support the weight of all the tomatoes.” I decided to plant it outside in a kind of wire cage made from stock fencing. It sounded like it would take up too much precious space in the polytunnel. Whether that will work or not remains to be seen.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 08:52:34 »
A mate of mine used to grow his determinates up through an old portable bed frame.  They would grow through it and then sort of collapse on top giving him a carpet of toms to sort through but keeping the fruit off the floor..

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 15:32:31 »
Never grown Reusentraube, but do grow bushes cherry tomatoes every year. I grow them in hanging baskets. This year I'm growing Tumbler and Maskotka.Two of each, 1 to a basket. Never had bird predation till 3 seasons ago when one of the resident breeding female blackbirds took a fancy to Sweet Millions. She's tried to have a go at them every year since - and trained her offspring too! I use bets to keep them off supported on old small child's umbrella frames. The handle stuck in the compost doubles as support for the plant. I feed as normal and don't remove any shoots. :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 07:53:31 »
I only grow bush tomatoes on my allotment now, they are the only type which have a chance of ripening before blight hits. Latah, Burbank bush and Maskotka are the varieties that have proven to work well, and I have saved seed for the last ten years of these so hopefully there is a degree of adaptation as well.
I grow mine with a frame of supports and net them for the first few weeks post planting out in June to help them establish quickly. They always fruit much earlier than my indeterminate plants in the greenhouse so I get a decent succession over the year.
I’ve grown Maskotka for quite a few years but never tried it in a hanging basket, the plants I’ve grown before are quite a big bush type and the fruits are semi beefsteaks so I will be interested to hear how you get on Tiny Clanger.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2022, 08:27:54 »
I have grown some Summerlast this year.  They are dwarf types but I can't figure out what I am supposed to do with them.  Not sure if I am supposed to pinch out or not - they might need some support but they are tiny..

Edit - described as a bush variety so Ill leave the pinching out but looks like they do need support.....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 12:56:39 by BarriedaleNick »

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2022, 09:34:32 »
I only grow bush tomatoes on my allotment now, they are the only type which have a chance of ripening before blight hits. Latah, Burbank bush and Maskotka are the varieties that have proven to work well, and I have saved seed for the last ten years of these so hopefully there is a degree of adaptation as well.
I grow mine with a frame of supports and net them for the first few weeks post planting out in June to help them establish quickly. They always fruit much earlier than my indeterminate plants in the greenhouse so I get a decent succession over the year.
I’ve grown Maskotka for quite a few years but never tried it in a hanging basket, the plants I’ve grown before are quite a big bush type and the fruits are semi beefsteaks so I will be interested to hear how you get on Tiny Clanger.

Maskotka do well in baskets - just need to keep an eye on the dryness in the basket.  Small fruits that the grandchildren like very much.  Always get load of them too. Tumbler - Ive not grown before.  Let's hope its a good season  :wave:
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2022, 13:02:54 »
Tumblers are pretty prolific, I grow both red and yellow types. I now prefer red and yellow striped artisan, a bit big for baskets and are inclined to sprawl , feathery foliage but the small pointy fruits are delightful and tasty too. I’ve just kept saving the seeds and get a mixture of colours from both colours of seed so they have crossed themselves but retain the size and stripes so that’s fine by me!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal