Author Topic: What is best in pots?  (Read 1143 times)

davholla

• Hectare
What is best in pots?
« on: May 13, 2022, 16:28:05 »
I might have more of the following tomatoes, beans and sweetcorn than I have space for - can any of them go in pots? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 16:31:19 by davholla »

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: What is best in pots?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2022, 16:54:40 »
Tomatoes and climbing beans will do ok in large pots with a wigwam of canes for support depending on the varieties. Sweetcorn I have grown successfully in a half barrow before I had an allotment, six plants in those and they pollinated ok so it is possible!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 20:57:53 »
Well if you have ample pots and compost you could have a go at the lot.

If you have to prioritize, I'd put tomatoes ahead of beans and sweetcorn  last. You are only likely to get one or two cobs per plant at best and unlike an allotment bed of sweetcorn pollination may be tricky. My allotment sweetcorn always seem to develop huge roots. I'd guess they might struggle in a pot.

Four good tomato plants could easily yield 40lbs of fruit. I'd take that ahead of six sweetcorn cobs.  Just my opinion of course.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 21:37:55 »
I am going to grow it all - just some will have to have the second class option of pots

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal