Author Topic: Netting cloche tunnels for outdoor strawberries  (Read 1852 times)

Galette

• Quarter Acre
Netting cloche tunnels for outdoor strawberries
« on: May 08, 2022, 13:23:37 »
Hello friends. This year I'm growing strawberries in raised beds to protect them from just about everything apart from pollinators...I think. So, firstly - do they actually need pollinators? If so, what size mesh tunnels do I need?  The tunnels I have are fine mesh so bees can't get in, if I leave the ends open the mice, birds, cats, etc etc could get in so I think I just need coarser mesh, but I don't want the make-your-own stuff I want the ready-made tunnels with the hoops sewn in. Any suggestions would be really appreciated  :happy7:

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: Netting cloche tunnels for outdoor strawberries
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2022, 19:16:03 »
Strawberries definitely need pollination.  Some of mine are already in flower and some fruits have set. I won't be netting until the fruits begin to swell and show signs of ripening.  I've never had any problems with mice or cats but slugs and birds especially pigeons are an incredible nuisance in my area.  I use a bird mesh from gardening naturally which has a mesh large enough to allow bees easy access.  I've never seen any ready built mesh tubes however.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 19:21:21 »
A load of sticks stuck in and around them, bottles on top of the sticks to stop the net snagging then a loose cheap netting thrown over the strawberry patch, perhaps weighed down at the edges. Stops the birds, allows the insects and feeds your pet slugs. Just lift the net for cropping. Pick daily to keep them coming.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2022, 09:18:14 »
You have to get your timing right for sure, blackbirds are my worst enemies for pecking off both ripe and unripe fruits so I net mine as soon as the fruits are set or I don’t get a crop!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2022, 11:33:24 »
Thanks, this is what I expected to hear. I have covered my blackcurrants and gooseberries as you suggest Ace and I may have to do this to my strawbs and in the meantime look out for some ready made tunnels with coarse/large gauge netting

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 12:34:03 »

My Way

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 13:34:02 »
Thanks TeeGee.  How do you do that then?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 15:28:24 »
I purchased some hoop iron many years ago from. Company I worked for

From memory the hoop iron was around 1” (25mm) wide and about 0.25” thick (4/5mm)thick.

They were cut to a length to suit the width of the bed plus 2x2ft for the height of the legs/uprights.

For example, a 5 ft wide bed was: 5+2+2=9ft as I recall I think I purchased a number of 3 metre lengths.

Because the hoop iron was quite pliable I could re-adjust the height/width ratio quite easily for narrower beds.

The covering was as required e,g, Birdnetting,Rokolene,Plastic or Fleece.

I hope this helps!

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 19:22:14 »
Tee Gee thank you so much for the details.  Unfortunately beyond me to carry out, however the principal is very sound and I'm already thinking about slight alterations to enable me to copy the idea.  Thanks again  :happy7:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 23:25:37 »
An alternative I have seen that works equally as well is to use plastic water supply pipe in a similar manner. The main difference would be as opposed to the flat top as in my case with hoop iron the supports would be similar to the metal framing in a polytunnel. Having said that if you want a flat top you could purchase 90 degree plastic elbow fittings. I hope this helps!

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 11:09:30 »
Another good idea, I have done this many years ago but unfortunately got rid of the piping when I moved, thinking that I would never grow fruit & veggies again, little did I know!

IanDH

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 13:24:47 »
I just use road pins that are readily available from on-line retailers, bird net over the top and hold edges down with anything available.  Not dissimilar to canes and bottles (or flower pots) but have lasted for years.

Also keep a supply of the pins to insert at corners of crop areas to stop hose pulling across plants.  Used to use stakes, but they rot very quickly in our soil.

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 13:42:07 »
This is getting better and better, thanks Ian. Yet another great option, I had never heard of Road Pins but they seem to have a lot of uses.

peterrandall

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2022, 10:14:35 »
I use the blue water pipe on my raised beds but use clips from Toolstation part number 45702 in each corner to hold the hoop upright so the wind does not blow it over then use bulldog clips to hold the bird netting in place

Galette

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2022, 16:27:58 »
Well, I have done it! With many thanks for all the replies, in the end I followed IanDH's suggestion and bought Road Pins and a fresh supply of bird netting. The pins weren't cheap but they should last for the rest of my gardening years, so I see it as a worthwhile investment! The result is quite smart, much more so than my efforts in the next raised bed.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2022, 04:56:48 »
Looks great. I wonder whether it might be a good idea to put something softer on top of each fence pin so that they don’t make holes in your netting. I use cut down plastic milk bottles quite a lot. Not very pretty though, I admit.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2022, 21:37:31 »
I netted mine today. Plenty of set green fruits gradually swelling so hopefully a good crop in prospect.  I use aluminium frames roughly 2 metres by 5 and drape the nets over. 

I have two beds and never let them crop for more than four seasons and sometimes only three. I start new beds from runners pegged down in late summer.   It's inexpensive and keeps the beds healthy but I have rather lost track of the varieties over time.  I can recognise Korona due to the fruit size, but the others have got hopelessly mixed up.  It's a good excuse for the grandkids to pick from lots of different plants and compare for ripeness, flavour, sweetness and fruitiness.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2022, 23:32:30 »
Like Beersmith I practiced a rotation plan where each year I cleared out a third of the bed and refilled with new plants from runners I had taken. This meant in any given year I had one, two and three year old plants in the bed.

If you look at the photo I uploaded earlier you can see where I sited a flat iron hoop to demarcate the three groups.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal