Allotment Stuff > The Basics

DIY potting compost

<< < (3/6) > >>

Tiny Clanger:
I use a combination of well rotted horse manure, soil and whatever is in the composter ready to use. I use large pots as our GH is on concrete too. In the polytunnel at the allotment whercI can plant into soil. I prepare the planting area a bit like the bean patch. Dig Trench, add contents of the shredder,  then rotted horse manure, soil mixed with anything from the composter. I work in "layers" soil and composted is top planting layer.

Harry:
I know it's an old thread, but to wake it up...

Does anyone here scrape up molehills from the side of the road? They always look to be nice soft sandy loam and if we are going for looks alone, the dirt looks the part.

I'm no expert by a long stretch, but for first germination of seeds, are nutrients that important? (heresy? :)) I've sown seeds in coir compost that has no nutrients and tried hydroponics that was just water and a few drops of tomorite, and I've tried topsoil and I've tried proper bought compost. I had equal failure/success with most. What really didn't seem to work was gritty/lumpy stuff where the poor little seeds just couldn't break through.

I no longer buy growbags, because they just don't cost in.

Palustris:
It is actually illegal to take the soil from a mole hill if it is on land which does not belong to you.

pumkinlover:
I have not bought any compost for several years.
Yes I have taken the mole hill soil.

--- Quote from: Palustris on March 25, 2023, 20:22:00 ---It is actually illegal to take the soil from a mole hill if it is on land which does not belong to you.

--- End quote ---

It was a few years ago now and hopefully I have escaped the long arm of the law so far, but thanks for the warning!

Harry:

--- Quote from: Palustris on March 25, 2023, 20:22:00 ---It is actually illegal to take the soil from a mole hill if it is on land which does not belong to you.

--- End quote ---
True enough. Serious comment accepted with good humour.

Better make sure your car is roadworthy, MOT'd, Insured and not loaded with illegal stuff... and be sober. Even better, fit false number plates and take them in the dead of night while a look-out stands by with a shotgun :tongue3:

"The man, seen acting suspiciously with a torch, a trug and a shovel was later found to be armed with a multitool and carrying several wraps of unidentified seeds. His vehicle was seized and was later found to have a defective tail light. . . . When questioned, he had replied, "I heard there was some 'good 5hit' there for the taking. . . A police spokesman denied having a mole, deep within the criminal enterprise. . . Sentencing adjourned."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version