Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2022  (Read 37747 times)

markfield rover

• Hectare
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2022
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2022, 17:36:42 »
Before last orders are called, would this be acceptable ( I have not grown them) or of interest?
I have ordered seed from Adam Alexander , his seeds have a story , some a touch of romance others of daring do and not without  flavour too the best bit . I have chosen seven varieties, some of the tomato names would not be out of place on a Farrow and Ball paint chart , in fact the bean and pea also.
If this is a reasonable addition to the circle I will gladly divvy up the spoils.
Cheers.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2022, 20:29:50 »
Great to hear from you, Markfield Rover.
I, for one, think that would be a very acceptable contribution to the Circle. I think it’s true to say that while passing on seeds from a commercial source wouldn’t at all be within the spirit of the exchange, it is quite a different matter to share seeds which have come straight from Adam Alexander, who has gone far further than most of us in sourcing varieties which would otherwise be unknown outside a confined area.

Also of course, you have been a loyal participant in the Circle over the years and have contributed a great number of seeds for varieties you’ve grown yourself, so it’s lovely that you’ve offered a way in which you can continue your involvement for this year.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2022, 10:57:12 »
I enjoyed lovely seed gifts from Adam, donated by you, either directly or from your own saved seeds with good harvests.  This proposal is very attractive as an alternative to your own seeds, which we have benefited from in the past.  I sincerely hope, however, that you are well and you will again be able to enjoy gardening and seed saving.  I fully agree with Jan's decision here. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 11:23:58 by galina »

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2022, 11:01:29 »
Thank you for many excellent seeds Markfield Rover.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 11:23:41 by galina »

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2022, 12:36:15 »
Thank you both so much, very kind. Seed saving didn’t really happen this year but a big bonus was the circle seeds especially Jen’s Tangerine and Coyote and a forgotten flavour from many a seventies cheesecake Ground cherry, seeds already saved , so getting back into the swing of it.
Thanks again .

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2022, 14:49:47 »
Absolutely agree with JanG and galina, lovely to have you involved again this year Markfield :)

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2022, 16:24:44 »
Thank you Vetivert , I selected seeds that had something about them, and as I didn’t go to the effort of growing them I can certainly get my paintbox out to highlight their features.Adam Alexander has written a book ,Seed Detective which maybe a good read , he did give me extra Syrian broad beans to pass onto some newly arrived Syrians who had taken plot , there’s a symmetry there somewhere!
Glad to be aboard. Cheers.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2022, 10:37:25 »
Hello everybody it is a while i wrote something,but i havenot sit still.Collecting seeds is now the main thing.Some beans i grow are still green and need some time to mature.Tomatoes are almost all done.I will come back on the varieties i send to the seedcircle.Have a nice weekend.

garrett

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2022, 14:13:59 »
Hi, I hope it's not too late to join in. I haven't participated before but I've saved seeds this year in anticipation.

I've saved the following tomatoes:
Chadwick Cherry (large red cherry vine)
Auntie Madge's (small red plum vine)
Golden Grape (small yellow cherry bush)
Ciliegia Cerise (small red cherry bush)

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #89 on: October 01, 2022, 06:27:02 »
Great to have you taking part again as usual, Ruud. I’ve enjoyed your contributions so much over the last few years. I’m working towards getting my list of offerings together too. Looking forward to firming these up very soon.

Hello Garrett. That’s a great list of tomato varieties. It will be very good to have you involved. Are tomatoes your special interest?

garrett

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2022, 12:39:38 »
I do particularly like tomatoes. I have some others saved, but didn't know if there would be interest.

I also have:
Galina Yellow (yellow cherry vine, potato leaved)
Brad's Atomic Grape (multicoloured cherry vine)
Matt's Hornet (red and orange elongated cherry vine)

I did not like the Brad's and Matt's at all, I found them too sweet with little tang and couldn't eat them. I'm happy to include them if anyone is curious about trying them though. Lots of people seem to love the Brad's and it was a very productive and vigorous plant for me, but just not to my taste.

I figured everyone must already have the Galina Yellow, but maybe they don't!

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2022, 13:27:24 »
Welcome Garrett! Lovely to have you as a new participant this year, and hopefully for many years to come!  :wave:
Isn't that the thing with taste? It's so subjective and even more so when it comes to the nuances of tomatoes. Hopefully the Ambrosia series tomatoes I'm sending this year won't be too sweet for you, though they are pretty up there on the brix readings. The pink and gold ones can taste remarkably sweet, fruity, but with some acidity. The red is my favourite, like a tiny rich breakfast tomato.

Very excited to see you here, ruud.  :icon_cheers: The Noir de Belgique produced a climber from which I've just harvested some seeds. I think it might be a cross as the pods are slightly silver in appearance compared to the pods of the dwarf plants. Do let me know if you would like some seeds back. It was earlier to crop than the dwarf plants, too.

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2022, 16:44:43 »
Welcome Garrett , I hope to reveal my tomatoes soon ,hopefully a few new to you. I love a sweet tomato especially with salty cheese. Sweet potato on the other hand doesn’t cross the threshold!

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2022, 23:17:12 »
Hello from someone who hasn't been around for a very long time. [waves] I've had several difficult years, but I'm back to growing fruit and veg again and it's been just wonderful.

You might not want someone who's been completely absent joining, and I totally appreciate that you might not - but if there were space for one more I would love to join in.

I have a couple of squash varieties (Thelma Sanders & Potimarron) that I isolated and will be drying a good amount of seed from this month.

As a slightly random question too, does anyone remember the cara la virgin de la baneza leon beans that were in the circle some years ago? And know where I might be able to find some? Mine aren't viable anymore, and they were my favourite bean to grow.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2022, 06:12:23 »
Hello Sparrow. I’m sure I speak for others in the Circle when I say that I’d be delighted to have you on board. I remember your name from seed circle notes etc and think you participated regularly until just before I joined. And how lovely that you’ve come through your difficult times and are enjoying growing again. Your squash varieties will be a great contribution. Welcome back!

I have seeds of the unpronounceable bean which were donated to the Circle by Silverleaf last year but which I haven’t yet grown. There are plenty to share. Someone else might have 2022 seed to offer but you are welcome to a share of my 2021 seed if not.

Are you and Garrett OK with an end of November deadline? It’s a bit of a rush but we’ve found it has worked well for the last couple of years.

I also found Brad’s Atomic Grape rather a disappointment taste-wise. It does seem to be very popular at the moment but I don’t share the enthusiasm.
I know Yellow Galina simply as Galina. Do you know when or how the ‘yellow’ in your strain, Garrett, came to be added or which is the original name?
I’d be interested to try Matt’s Hornet. I confess to liking sweet tomatoes but I agree that it’s good if they have some tang too, I’m looking forward to Vetivert’s Ambrosia series, and it will be interesting to try Matt’s Hornet too. I wonder whether it’s the same Matt as in Matt’s Wild Cherry!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2022, 10:12:39 »
These are the seeds I'm hoping to contribute to the Circle all being well. I'll add notes about the different varieties in due course. I also have plenty of seed of Dill, Land Cress, Calendula and Corn Salad if anyone wants to boost their stocks

Tomatoes
Ananas Noir
Pink Furry Boar
Yellow Submarine
Lotos

Lettuce
Cantarix
Rossa di Trento
Black-seeded Simpson

True Potato Seed
Salad Blue
Ambo

Pea
Blue Prussian
Carlin
Green Beauty

Climbing French Bean
Astrid
Extra Hatif de Juillet
Herrenböhnli

Dwarf French Bean
Jacob’s Cattle

Leek
D'Hiver de St Victor

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2022, 11:02:19 »
I've enjoyed doing a trawl through the 2022 thread up to now, and have gathered together participants and any seeds which have been mentioned as possible contributions. Obviously this is by no means binding! Growing  moves on all the time of course. But I thought it might be useful to take an overview and I have to say it's all looking very exciting! Do say if things have changed and you want/need to subtract or add to or clarify what I've put here.
For your planning, we are at the moment seven participants

Markfield Rover - seeds from Adam Alexander - yet to specify

Ruud - yet to specify

Vetivert
beetroot, swede, radicchio, spinach.
Tomato - Velmozha, Ambrosia series - Ambrosia Gold, Pink, Red, Rose UBX, and Blue Ambrosia,

Galina
Tomato - Fruity Yellow, Pink Boar, Rosalie's Early Orange
Courgette - Hungarian Zucchini, Striato d'Italia, Long white Trailing from HSL and Bianco Lungo
Cucumber  - Beit Alpha
Tps - Pink Fir Apple/Inky Squid cross
Achocha - Giant Bolivian

Garrett
Tomatoes -Chadwick Cherry (large red cherry vine), Auntie Madge's (small red plum vine), Golden Grape (small yellow cherry bush), Ciliegia Cerise (small red cherry bush), Galina Yellow (yellow cherry vine, potato leaved), Brad's Atomic Grape (multicoloured cherry vine), Matt's Hornet (red and orange elongated cherry vine)

Sparrow
Squash - Thelma Sanders & Potimarron

garrett

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #97 on: October 02, 2022, 11:48:12 »
I call Galina "Galina Yellow" because that's the name it had on my original seed packet so I've always used it. I doubt it's a different strain and it should just be Galina.

Matt's Hornet info:
“Matt’s Hornet” is a segregate from Matt's Folly, which is a cross by Tom Wagner of Matt's Wild Cherry and Casady's Folly. This segregate of Matt's Folly was named Matt's Hornet because of the bullet shape. So it looks like it's Matt's Wild Cherry's grandchild!

I might have some french beans too, they're still drying so I don't know how many I'll end up with. What's the usual quantity for the seed swap, 5-6 beans, a dozen tomato seeds?

Late November is fine for me.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 12:12:13 by garrett »

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #98 on: October 02, 2022, 12:40:03 »
Thanks for the further info, Garrett. I'm not sure that Matt of Matt's Wild Cherry tomato deserves to have his name live on with such distinguished lineage as he apparently only acquired the original wild cherry from a Mexican friend and simply insured that they became available.
10-12 tomato seeds is certainly generous enough. We probably tend to go to nearer 10 for French beans but if they're in short supply, and especially if they're unusual or particularly interesting, 5-6 is fine, particularly for climbing beans. So there's a varied amount offered, depending on how much is available.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #99 on: October 02, 2022, 21:27:43 »
Hello Sparrow. I’m sure I speak for others in the Circle when I say that I’d be delighted to have you on board. I remember your name from seed circle notes etc and think you participated regularly until just before I joined. And how lovely that you’ve come through your difficult times and are enjoying growing again. Your squash varieties will be a great contribution. Welcome back!

I have seeds of the unpronounceable bean which were donated to the Circle by Silverleaf last year but which I haven’t yet grown. There are plenty to share. Someone else might have 2022 seed to offer but you are welcome to a share of my 2021 seed if not.

Are you and Garrett OK with an end of November deadline? It’s a bit of a rush but we’ve found it has worked well for the last couple of years.

Oh wow! I can't tell you how delighted I'd be to have some of those beans to grow again. Thank you, that is really very kind.

Thanks too for letting me join. I'm sorry I only have 2 varieties to offer this year. Yes, late November would be fine for me - this week is roast squash week just to make sure the seeds have plenty of time to dry out.

The Thelma Sanders squash have outdone themselves. I have 4 hand-pollinated squashes and a total of 16 proper-sized squashes and a few tiddlers from just 3 plants this year. I have access to the back of an old local muckheap and I'm crediting that with my success!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal