Produce > Edible Plants

Seed Saving Circle 2022

<< < (2/42) > >>

Vetivert:
I just left everything in the ground all winter. Ate some, culled the stragglers, and kept the largest/best-looking. For the beets and swedes there are 6-8 selected roots of each. Not ideal but that's the space I have. There were plans to get a seed crop from the Avon Early beets I got from the HSL, but I scrapped that as they were not impressive. Looks like they've crossed with a chard.

Senposai has been springing up all over the allotment, and it appears that plenty of seeds made it to the compost pile. Now there are dozens of little senposai in the potted potatoes. I hoed out the ones in the ground as they had flea beetle damage and were in the way, but the stowaways in the pots with compost are the picture of health. I may prick them out eventually but shall leave them be until the potatoes poke through. I have noticed there are still many with trichomes; don't forget to only save seeds from the smooth-leaved plants.

I've opted for later sowings with peas this year. Sowed only a couple of varieties in March, a bunch in mid-April and the rest I'm sowing today. Last year I lost so much to the damp, cold weather and got fine crops from the late-spring sowings, so thought it best to err on the side of caution.

Not growing Phrik Key Nuu this year, but can confirm that the Sipka Belaja have germinated and grown excellently. The Malinalco tomatillos are flowering already - a day length thing?

galina:
Thank you for the advice not to save seeds from the hairy leaved types of Senposai.  Will watch for that Vetivert.  Your report of late seed development had me sowing relatively early.  But I have also kept seeds back, thank you for a generous baggie, for another go if this is difficult here too. 

galina:
Glad the Sipka Belaja has made a good start JanG.  I have them sitting on the kitchen windowsill, they dried very easily.  Take half of one and crush it with my fingers at cooking time.  This makes pepper flakes, no mill needed.   Can also be cut into fine flakes with the kitchen scissors.  The flakes rehydrate very quickly during cooking.  Heat is not lethal, but a little goes a long way.  I used four in a large curry for eight persons and OH found it a little bit too hot, just right for me.  We will have to add yoghurt to his next portion to cool it down.  And remember to use half next time.  I am afraid Ruud's  Phrik Key Nuu is slumbering in the freezer.  Wish I had grown them this year now. 

penedesenca:
Hi all, glad to see the circle is still going strong. (well done JanG) I am hoping to contribute this year if I am okay to join x x

Vetivert:
That'd be lovely, penedesenca :icon_cheers: This summer I'm hoping to finally taste the White Queen tomatoes you shared last time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version