Author Topic: Seed Saving Circle 2022  (Read 35521 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Seed Saving Circle 2022
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2022, 09:23:34 »
Yes, I see your point.  My last broad bean saving was the small black Syrians that fit very easily.  A relatively expensive solution would be to construct a 'build a ball' cage.  https://www.harrodhorticultural.com/build-a-ball-connectors-12-pack-pid7577.html?Aff=GPL&gclid=CjwKCAjwv-GUBhAzEiwASUMm4v87k1o1A4FEu4_7LrRa6LrWOfVsPCVt9Wc7Kut7841xhKvPSBCEpRoC7vgQAvD_BwE

But a series of sturdy sticks or bamboos in the ground with fleece draped over, which needs upturned plastic bottles over the top of the sticks to stop the fleece from tearing, draped around the broad beans should also work.  The bottles could be anything, but I have seen the tiny probiotic drinks bottles in use on an allotment visit for a temporary fruit cage with netting.  No reason why fleece would not work just as well. 

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2022, 06:04:17 »
Thanks Galina. I use Build-a ball quite a lot with aluminium poles of various lengths, which I’ve collected over the years, so indeed a complete cage is quite possible. I think I was looking for a way to isolate a smaller amount - just the flowers perhaps on individual plants - so that if I grow six or seven different varieties, it’s not too great an undertaking. I’ll continue to experiment and, when very precious to me, will build a complete cage as you suggest.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2022, 10:22:01 »
Jan, Isolating individual flowers or flower trusses is easy with organza baggies.  You know the wedding favour bags.  They come in various sizes, their drawstrings makes fixing onto plants easy.  And they are very reasonably priced. 

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2022, 18:52:31 »
Yes, I have some small ones but I think I need to get hold of some larger ones for clusters of broad bean flowers.

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2022, 09:16:17 »
Is there a pruning technique for the tomatillos? I'd like them to grow a larger and bushier frame. Currently they're on one main stem with an umbrella-shaped canopy, with lots of flowers at the top. No idea whether this is normal and I should just let them get on with it.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2022, 09:20:46 »
I am not aware of a pruning technique.  When too tall, stake and tie up is how I bring mine under control.  As they take a longish time to mature fruit anyway, I would hesitate to wait for bushier sideshoot growth to come to fruition.  But I am happy to learn if you experiment with pruning. 

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2022, 05:31:35 »
I grew tomatillos for the first time last year. I didn’t prune at all, nor did I find mine needed staking. They bushed out eventually but not all the way down. I think they simply stopped putting on height at about 2’6” to 3’ perhaps.
This year I’m finding Queen of Malinalco extra vigorous so it might exceed that height and outgrow its space on the greenhouse staging.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2022, 05:32:17 »
I grew tomatillos for the first time last year. I didn’t prune at all, nor did I find mine needed staking. They bushed out eventually but not all the way down. I think they simply stopped putting on height at about 2’6” to 3’ perhaps.
This year I’m finding Queen of Malinalco extra vigorous so it might exceed that height and outgrow its space on the greenhouse staging.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2022, 07:25:37 »
My Qu o M are in the corner of the greenhouse, leaning against the glass.  On the inside of the group I have stuck 3 5ft bamboos into the ground.  As the plants get taller I will 'corral' them with string between the bamboos on the inside, so they don't lean or fall onto the adjacent pepper plants further in the greenhouse. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2022, 08:55:03 »
We had a discussion about Pastoral and which seed type is the correct one.  I have 5 plants, 4 with green stems and white flowers.  They are now  just over 5 foot tall and flowering.  The odd one out which I planted to the side of the group out has a reddish stem, lilac purple flower and tops the 8ft support already.  Hybrid vigor?  I suspect the white flowering, slightly less vigorous plants are the correct version.  Will observe further. 

Vetivert

• Half Acre
  • Sussex
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2022, 14:59:27 »
One of the QoM plants has an egg-sized fruit. Poor thing is still in a 9cm pot. I'm wondering if they would do better outside the polytunnel with plenty of room. It does get extremely hot in there.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2022, 05:43:58 »
My Q of M responded very quickly to being potted on into a 1.5 litre pot and is twice the size of a couple of others I was much slower to pot on.No fruit yet.

I’m struggling to remember the details of the discussion about Pastoral but last year mine had the two colours of flower too. It was the white-flowered plants which were the first of any of my beans to produce pods.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2022, 06:52:13 »
Not here yet, but they are definitely at the early end of the spectrum.  First tiny beans here are on Salewski's Ungarn. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2022, 12:13:48 »
5 varieties of ripe tomatoes, nice and early and 3 of the 5 were from this seed circle.  Cerise, Orange Bourgoin an early salad tom from Ferme St Marthe, then circle toms Burmese Sour, Dehybridised Sungold (they are so good!) and Pamplemousse de Grand Pere outdoors!  The latter took so long germinating, I had nearly given up on them, but huge and very early for a large tomato.  Thank you for these new to me and very tasty and early tomatoes. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 12:17:43 by galina »

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2022, 05:21:11 »
Great that you’re having such excellent results. I grew the Pamplemousse last year and enjoyed it very much too.
Was the dehybridised Sungold from my seed or from an earlier contribution? Mine is still a little variable so, if from mine, I’m very pleased you have a good’un.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2022, 07:02:24 »
They were from your seed.  More red than orange, but  t h a t  flavour!  Wonderful and early to boot. 

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2022, 14:02:39 »
I am currently fermenting seeds of these yummy cherry tomatoes, Fruity Yellow, bred by Tim Peters.  Hope to add for the seed circle all being well. 

The plants are very tall and strong and the flavour of these cherry toms is really good.  Occasionally there is a red fruiting plant which also tastes good, but these were grown from yellows and are yellow this year, so let us hope they will all be yellow for you too.  A sort of golden yellow.  I received the original seeds from the Internet Tomato Trials which were held in 1999 and 2000, where we got tomatoes that were identified by a letter only and after reporting back, we got to know what variety we had been sent.  The organiser tried to match locations to suitable tomatoes and these have always been good in England both greenhouse and outdoors, with considerable blight resistance too.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2022, 06:17:09 »
These sound like they have everything going for them, especially flavour and some blight resistance, and an interesting history too. Looking forward!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2022, 19:20:32 »
Queen of Malinalco - oh yeah!  Fruit bowl or tomato salad, can't decide.  We just munched our first out of hand.  That wonderful smell and flavour.  A lovely surprise, thank you. 

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2022, 06:28:02 »
Oh dear. I lost mine in the 40 degrees we had last week. They’re giants of plants and I hadn’t kept up and potted them into big enough pots.
Luckily seeds enough for next year. Might put a couple into polytunnel soil to find their own size and vigour. How big did your plants grow?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal