Author Topic: Rhubarb question  (Read 1538 times)

pumkinlover

Rhubarb question
« on: April 22, 2022, 07:38:26 »
I was picking rhubarb yesterday and after watering it as well I wondered about the huge leaves and stems.
In the end I decided that they were probably losing water through transpiration and removed some of them. They get a second use as a mulch around the raspberries, 

Do other people do this?   

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: Rhubarb question
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2022, 08:11:09 »
We don't do that here, as the sun gets very hot from now on.  Amazingly our rhubarb more than survives the summer temps, but I pick carefully so that there is still plenty of shade underneath.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 14:08:48 »
Ours is planted on the west side of the hen house and there's a water butt on that corner so it doesn't get direct sun till about 3pm.   I only remove leaves when I'm picking stems.   When it gets droopy, I water it, even after we've stopped picking stems.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2022, 17:18:20 »
As it is from Central Asia it is used to long periods at high temperatures. It may loose to transpiration but has such an extensive root system this isn't an issue except when just divided or planted out a small seedling.... then they need water. Can't imagine on an established plant removing a few leaves (and stems) is a problem.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 22:32:18 »
Green = chlorophyll = food for the plant. So you don't want to take too many off. But removing a few large leaves at this time of year won't do any real harm and may help new shoots that would otherwise be overshadowed. Subject to that, just give it a good watering if it looks hot and bothered!

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 09:25:35 »
Thanks for the replies. I did give them some water too. They are looking fine and so much rhubarb 😁

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 13:42:53 »
I doubt you'll kill the stuff - it seems to be bomb-proof. Mine has survived drought, flood, ice, fire, plagues of locusts... OK, I exagerate a bit, but it's certainly handled the first three without turning a hair.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2022, 19:37:32 »
The "old allotment" plants don't get any special treatment and survive but I bought some new plants a few years ago and they are worth a bit of care as so nice. I usually give lots away as well as cooking it and freezing for later.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 20:17:25 »
Mine are Victoria, an old variety that should do well - and is all I can get here, but I'm on my 6th plant since we moved here and have lost 4 to drought and heat, despite watering.

In my Belgian garden I had trouble keeping up with their growth rate and vigour so they clearly loved the cooler summers and generous rainfall.
Obxx - Vendée France

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal