Produce > Edible Plants

Spring onions Why can't I grow them

<< < (2/3) > >>

Tulipa:
I also grow Ishikuru and follow Tim's method of starting them in modules.  I just use loo roll inners and sew about 10 seeds per inner, just like a bunch you would buy in a supermarket.  I start them off in a cold greenhouse then plant them out in their bunches once they reach about 3" Sowing a few inners full every few weeks for succession, this has always worked well. If you search Tim and Spring Onions he used to post about them. This way you just pull up a bunch ready for use... I sometimes use a polystyrene insulating box to support the tubes. Also the starting off in compost seems to help the root system as Vetivert says. Good luck.

Palustris:
All well and good if the seed actually ever germinates. Never has for me no matter what I did. Ornamental onions no problem, leeks no problem, only spring ones are no show.

Deb P:
Early in the year I sow a pinch of spring onion seeds in a 6 module pack, bung them on a heated pad until they germinate, harden off and plant the clumps out intact at the allotment. Let them grow on and harvest the largest leaving the smaller to grow on for later harvests. Then after June sow direct once a month, also in pinches of seeds not rows so they grow more like shallots. No root disturbance, it works for me! Also use fresh seed every year, allium seeds seem to be a bit like parsnips and don’t last very long, I get poor germination rates if I try keeping any over to another season.

Plot22:
I have no problem growing Spring Onions in that I chit them on damp kitchen towel and then set them as soon as the seeds have sprouted. Leave them any longer and they are nearly impossible to handle. I am currently growing Guardsman which has some resistance to white rot. I set them a week ago and they are through already. My biggest problem is Alium Leaf Miner or white rot. I have got over these problems on my main onion bed which is covered but I cannot cover the odd row of Spring Onions . I have got 6 nets as it is

Deb P:
I don’t seem to get insect damage on my onions or spring onions on my plot, but leeks do get attacked by allium miner, but since I’ve been growing the variety ‘Northern Lights’ they seem to be less prone to insect damage for some reason!
White rot is a bigger problem, the beauty of growing in raised beds is that I can just avoid planting alliums in an affected bed and wait the seven years you supposed to before trying them in that bed again ( or I use it for perennial crops from a different group). I know others have tried treating the soil with garlic powder but I’m just avoiding the problem in the one bed I know that has it and rotate my alliums elsewhere!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version