Produce > Edible Plants

Spring onions Why can't I grow them

<< < (3/3)

Gordonmull:
My soil doesn't really like onions. It's not the classic white rot but there's some kind of fungus that rots a lot of them off. That said, the best results I've had are with "Kyoto Market" Japanese bunching onions. Sowed these to 40 cell modules and thinned to 4 per cell. They're bunching onions so they can bunch. Planted out and there were many, many deaths but some lived on after the first year, and they flowered and they split. I eventually dug the patch up about 4 years later after the ground had sunk about 3" and the clumps of onions had got unruly.

Tried to re-establish last year but sowed direct. It was quite a dry spring/early summer and I had bigger chives by the end of the year, out of the very few that made it through. They're flowering this year, just now, the survivors.

For this year I've thrown 2 rows each into those long windowsill planters that have the self watering reservoir below in spent multipurpose mixed with blood, fish and bone and they seem to be doing better.

Beersmith:

--- Quote from: Gordonmull on May 14, 2022, 20:29:40 ---
It was quite a dry spring/early summer and I had bigger chives by the end of the year, out of the very few that made it through. They're flowering this year, just now, the survivors.

--- End quote ---

Spring droughts are a subject in themselves and are becoming a real nuisance.  I'm convinced they are becoming more common and I think in my area there have been at least four in the past seven years. While there are plenty of things that will help my soil which is light and drains readily can make it hard to get things germinated.  This season I had a catastrophe with my early sowing of carrots. 

That's the thing about having an allotment!  There's always something
!

davee65uk:
I am unable to grow onions on my plot as I have the Leek Moth. I have had a lot of success growing onions in large pots and thinning out by just eating them. I start them off in an unheated greenhouse and then put them out when it's warmer. I never transplant them as this always goes wrong.

early weeder:
Having read all this earlier in the year and having never succeeded with spring onions I gave them another go. I sowed in modules and although they didn't all germinate there were enough to transplant to the polytunnel bed and behold my first Spring Onions!  :blob7:

Deb P:

--- Quote from: early weeder on August 21, 2022, 08:27:39 ---Having read all this earlier in the year and having never succeeded with spring onions I gave them another go. I sowed in modules and although they didn't all germinate there were enough to transplant to the polytunnel bed and behold my first Spring Onions!  :blob7:

--- End quote ---
Huzzah! 😂👍🏻

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version