Author Topic: Winter Nelis Pear Tree  (Read 1135 times)

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
Winter Nelis Pear Tree
« on: August 22, 2022, 21:27:52 »
I bought a winter nelis pear tree a couple of years back, but now it has its first fruit, I'm not sure it is really winter nelis. The pears don't seem to be looking like any winter nelis pears I have seen before.  If anybody grows winter nelis, can you say how yours compare with my photo? Thanks

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
Re: Winter Nelis Pear Tree
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 06:33:50 »
I have Winter Nellis but the tree is very young, having been planted only about 18 months ago, so no fruit to compare I’m afraid. That pear certainly looks very ripe for a late maturing variety though, so I quite understand you doubts.

winecap

• Acre
    • Jon's Allotment
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 19:50:50 »
I did already raise my concerns with the supplier, but they just said its nowhere near ripe and too early to jump to conclusions. I had the feeling they didn't take my concerns seriously.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 06:21:31 »
I would day that’s a totally unsatisfactory response especially if you sent them a photo of the pear produced by your tree. A quick search for Winter Nellis throws up consistent photos of a fruit which is not only green rather than red but is extremely rounded and stocky in shape.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 11:39:48 »
I agree, I always thought it was a russet type so would have a greenish brown speckled appearance, not flushed red!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal