Produce > Edible Plants

Pea question

(1/3) > >>

small:
I bought a new pack of peas last year (alderman, I think, I've chucked the empty pack) and  had excellent germination and a great crop. |I sowed the remains of the packet this year and the germination is down to about a third. They were kept dry and cool, so I don't think that's the issue. My question is, is this just how peas are? I'm used to runner beans lasting for years in store, so I sort of assumed peas would be the same. Any ideas from more experienced growers?

Paulh:
I find they are usually good for a couple of years or so. This year the "Kelvedon Wonder" have had only a bare 50% germination rate, but I now see that they were no better last year when newly bought, so I should have thrown them away and got some more!

saddad:
Hi both, we grow several varieties of HSL peas and save our own seed, germination rates only drop off after 5 years. We keep our in old jam jars or similar... rarely trust shop bought ones as you don't know how long they have been "on the shelf" often in paper packets in full sun...

Plot22:
I only grow Hurstgreenshaft because there is 8 to 10 in a pod and they are easy to pod. I have tried all sorts Alderman Onward etc and they are a nightmare to pod. I always chit my peas on damp kitchen towel and the sow in a 4" row . Never had any problem with germination once they had come off the kitchen towel however last year was a DISASTER after they had come through under clotches and wire netting I put barrier netting around the rows as normal to support the growing peas but then the sparrows decimated the whole crop nicking the growing tips. Result the worse season ever on peas. The whole site was the same no peas. Plan B for this year as soon as I put the barrier netting up I have a bird poof netting to go over this at around 3' tall to stop the sparrows . We shall see. I always keep some seed for the following year and purchase extra. I have found that they keep for at least 3 years even longer under certain situations but I put my own seed in air tight jars.

small:
Thanks all. I'm not sure I'll bother again with peas, they are a lot of work - I sow in pots in the greenhouse, then plant out, protecting from the pigeons is a nightmare, and podding isn't the easiest. Ho hum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version