Author Topic: Now I remember  (Read 2111 times)

small

• Hectare
Now I remember
« on: April 08, 2022, 17:51:40 »
Why I grow vegetables. Just eaten the first of the asparagus. Perhaps I won't grass it over after all,

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Now I remember
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2022, 19:49:30 »
We have a few spears shwoing thru and will have them with dinner tomorrow.   Now to decide what to cook to serve with them......
Obxx - Vendée France

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2022, 22:29:28 »
Good for you. 

My area has had a period of about two weeks mild but dry weather then a similar period of wet and cold.  The effect has been curious.  Trees and fruit bushes seem slightly behind but not a lot, but seed germination of early sowing has been incredibly slow. My asparagus is just breaking through.  A very long way from having any harvest!
Not mad, just out to mulch!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 06:59:29 »
None showing here in Lincolnshire yet. I would have thought we’d be similar to Derbyshire but clearly not. 🤔
I’ll keep looking and hoping!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 09:18:44 »
For me, rhubarb has the same kick start. It really signals spring has come. I'd love to have asparagus but we're cold, wet, heavy clay here.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 15:05:46 »
You have done well Small, mine isn't even showing yet... Paulh try a shallow raised bed, about 8" is deep enough, the roots don't mind our clay, but the crowns won't stand being waterlogged.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 06:37:33 »
I was wondering whether a raised bed, warming up faster perhaps, had brought Small’s asparagus on ahead of the game, but it sounds like yours, Saddad, in much the same part of the world, are also in a raised bed and yet to show.
Different strains perhaps? Half of mine were grown from seed and half bought in, so quite a mixed bunch.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2022, 08:19:08 »
The bed I already have isn't raised... but it is my best drained patch... but in the shadow of our toilet block so it doesn't warm up as quickly...

small

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2022, 15:42:39 »
Mine are in a rather neglected end of the plot, heavy clay, next to a drainage ditch which fills to overflowing every winter. Heaven knows how they survive, I can only think I just struck lucky with them - raised from seed sown 38 years ago this week when we moved here! Oh, and the bed is infested with shamrock as well...

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 07:16:24 »
I'm still jealous though... the first home grown asparagus of the season is well worth waiting for!

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 09:49:16 »
..closely followed by that first moment of concern about aromatic micturation before you remember it's asparagus season again!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 22:41:51 »
How frost sensitive is asparagus? My asparagus shoots are mostly just one or two inches high at present.

The reason I ask is that just two weeks ago my kiwi vine was bursting into life, looking green and vibrant.  Some cold weather and sharp frost's later and all those green shoots are black and shriveled. Hopefully it will recover. But  how much cold can asparagus tolerate?
Not mad, just out to mulch!

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2022, 07:20:12 »
I have noticed that some initial spears on my new seedlings (technically one year olds) have wilted this last week or so, I put it down to slugs or something nibbling but have no sign of damage... perhaps that was the frost. Established plants are basically frost proof.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 08:19:00 »
Yes, new spears will be nipped by frost, but the crowns are hardy. My old ones survived -10 and below in 2010-11 (only to be dried off in 2018).
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

small

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2022, 17:09:23 »
About half the shoots when I picked that first lot had been frosted,  not black but limp, that's the only downside of an early-cropping bed. A light frost doesn't seem to make a difference but we had some really cold nights last week.

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 18:25:00 »
People have said that asparagus will grow in shade - I was daft enough to believe them.

They sprout weeks later - though sun at noon is the key thing to counteract it by warming the bed - and without it heavy mulching just makes it worse (over a month behind).

I'm in the process of developing a new sunny patch - hopefully in another year the small late crop from the old bed will become a bonus.

Cheers.

With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal