Author Topic: What makes a good allotment?  (Read 4285 times)

Glencroft

• Not So New ...
What makes a good allotment?
« on: March 22, 2022, 14:35:31 »
Is there anything you would like to see added to your allotment, or taken away?

I read so many posts on this amazing forum about rogue committees and unfair evictions at one end of the spectrum to spectacular fruit and vegetable production and brilliantly managed gardening communities at the other end.

What is it about your allotment that floats your boat?

What sinks it?

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: What makes a good allotment?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2022, 14:38:15 »
What floats mine (sometimes all too literally) is its site, on a water meadow within sight of the Thames - lush floodplain loam, rarely short of water, and a gorgeous place to be when the sun is shining.

What sinks my boat is that it can be far too wet, and it's horribly open and exposed in winter.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Glencroft

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2022, 14:52:34 »
Not so much a plot as a paddy field then?

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 15:17:24 »
It can genuinely be underwater, so yes!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2022, 16:53:27 »
I spent over 30 years on my plots and generally speaking I liked the camaraderie and being able to 'switch off' after work!

However, over the said period,  I didn't get on with 2 of the 5 Secretaries.

In fact, it was the last one that finally made me quit!

The two in question became 'Little Hitlers' once they were installed as Secretary. That is, they went 'power mad' and often strutted about the site to see if they could catch out plot holders in some way!

I wouldn't have minded if they had been top-notch gardeners, but they were anything but!

I saw their antics as overstepping their position as they had no authoritative powers, in their remit.

Their duties were primarily to liaise between the plot holders and the council by taking suggestions/grievances to and from the head of the Leisure &  Allotments at the council.

Like me, most of the other plot holders pretty much ignored them and got on with their hobby by ensuring they complied with the rules of the tenancy!

So looking back I can honestly say my 30+ years on the allotments was a great experience!

Glencroft

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2022, 19:28:48 »
Glad to hear such a positive conclusion TG

Those secretaries are ten a penny and thankfully, a dying breed (metaphorically speaking). Just as you say, I think plot holders are staring to realise that the only authority committee members have over you is that which you give them.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2022, 11:33:34 »
I sort of miss my plot in London.  What I liked about it was that if you wanted to turn your back on the world for a bit then you could - just nod or grunt at your fellow gardeners and they would leave you be to garden in the quiet.  However if I wanted to spend a day chatting and gossiping with them then I could do that too.  I also loved that we were such a disparate group of people who might not have normally met or got on but because we all had something in common it gave us a chance to get to know each other.  Old Irish Tom, Olivier from Belgium, Mike - graphic designer, Mark - gay guy living in a tower block, Sim from Vietnam, Karol from Poland, Gus - First gen OG Jamaican gardener and so on - all walks of life and lifestyles..  Of course we didn't always get on but for the most part it was great to meet and chat to people who I would probably have never met if not for the plot.
I was secretary for well over a decade and I'd like to think we served the members (a private association site) well enough but it isn't always an easy job.  People don't get on, arguments and disputes happen, people don't tend their plot and lots of people were quite happy to moan but never ever stepped up for communal work and jobs..  Sometimes this made me dread going to the plot as you would undoubtedly get accosted by someone moaning about the gate or someone else or a tree or the AGM or whatever.  Overall though it was all good and I miss the camaraderie of working with a bunch of like minded people...

What makes a good allotment site? A committee that works for the members, members that are willing to work communally and in general people who like minded and open to change and different ways of doing things.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 11:52:26 by BarriedaleNick »
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2022, 17:30:43 »
Well a good committee certainly helps, and the committee on my field are excellent.  That said, they are all getting quite old - as am I - and there seems no-one younger interested enough to take over once they get too old to continue.

But a good committee cannot be guaranteed and failing that being a local authority site has advantages.  Local authorities have been running allotments for decades and while some rules are perhaps a bit dated on the whole LA rules are sensible and balanced.  If you get an uppity or dictatorial committee you can usually appeal to the LA allotments officer to apply LA rules and cut out any silliness.

But aside from that what makes for a brilliant allotment is simply being there and growing what you choose.
Not mad, just out to mulch!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal