Produce > Edible Plants

No dig and perennial plants (not perennial weeds!)

(1/3) > >>

cropping:
Hello,

I am starting an allotment and found the website of Charles Dowding who apparently gets excellent results with the no-dig method. So I want to give it a try.

However, he talks mostly about annual plants, but I didn't find any information on perennial plants. For example, I want to grow some herbs (thyme, mint, etc.) How would that work with a no-dig method, especially in terms of controlling the weeds?

Thanks a lot!

Obelixx:
I tried the CD method with just layering cardboard and then loads of compost and then planting into it.  Despite copious wetting of the cardboard I found plants like beetroot, chard and onions couldn't get their roots down enough to contend with dry periods and the perennial weeds like bindweed were not deterred.

That being so, I would thoroughly weed your intended perennial bed and add plenty of well-rooted compost and/or manure then plant and water in the usual way.   After watering in you can then cover the bed with cardboard, cutting or placing it to go around the stems and then water the cardboard well and mulch it with garden compost or bark chippings to hold down the cardboard and keep in moisture whilst excluding light from any seeds lurking in your soil and wanting to germinate.

Tee Gee:

--- Quote --- example, I want to grow some herbs (thyme, mint, etc.
--- End quote ---

Personally I would grow these in pots particularly mint because it is a bit of a thug and will take over the bed given a chance.Add to that you will not need lots of plants so again pots could be the best option. Now back to your “ no “ dig regime” .Another factor in using pots is you can move them around quite easily so this would fit in with a rotation plan if you plan on having one.Finally I would grow them in 10” to12” pots sunk in to the bed/s of your choice and this will ensure they are not blown/ knocked over plus it will keep the root ball cool.
As always this is only an opinion and in the end the choice is yours.

ps plus you could alway fetch a pot or two of your herbs up to the house at the end of the season and if these mildish winters are going to remain with us,you would have a good  supply of fresh herbs by the kitchen door!

Obelixx:
Yes.  All my mints are in their own pots except for teh wild apple mint that spreads in the further regions of our plot.   None of them stays green, even here where winters can be mild.

I grow orange and lemon thymes in a raised bed near the back door along with chives, tarragon, oregano and rosemary.

My permanent beds in the veg plot have globe artichokes, asparagus and soft fruits and I'm working on making a boggy one for rhubarb.  Just need to talk to OH about digging a deep enough hole to line with holey old compost bags.......

Tee Gee:

--- Quote ---None of them stays green, even here where winters can be mild.

--- End quote ---

Just proves I don't grow herbs, hence my ignorance of these things. As I recall, that info came from some gardening pundit in my past! :toothy10:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version