Author Topic: Planting distances in raised beds  (Read 1211 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Planting distances in raised beds
« on: March 07, 2022, 19:53:48 »
You have probably seen my various posts on raised beds as I have virtually no experience of using them as I was always an "Open Plan" allotmenteer and have really valued everyone's advice.
Well the time has come and hopefully by the end of next week they will be set up (along with a new compost bin as the latter, when the compost was cleared, was easily dismantled i.e. it fell to pieces!!)
One thing one reads in the magazines and online is that one can get away with closer planting in raised beds than in an open  plan plot.
What does everyone think??

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Planting distances in raised beds
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2022, 20:38:44 »
There is an excellent book which covers planting distances of allotment crops by Caroline Foley, who basically says it depends on the crop; most crops will grow into whatever space they have, and staggered rows planting gives the best yields in raised beds. She also emphasised the importance of intercropping, using quick growing crops inbetween slow ones and most importantly having a succession of crops ready to put new ones in as soon as one is harvested. Plus using height, growing upwards not just straight onto the soil to make use of every inch of your growing space. I started off growing most things too close together, but things like carrots and leeks I use half grown alternate plants rather than chucking thinning away and then just keep doing that until they are more widely spaced and grow to full size.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tulipa

• Hectare
Re: Planting distances in raised beds
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2022, 21:33:20 »
Hi George, I have over the years realised that staggering the planting makes the best use of space as you can squeeze more rows together that way and keep the planting distance the same between things like kale, psb etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal