Author Topic: 2022 What compost are you using this year thread?!  (Read 10051 times)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
2022 What compost are you using this year thread?!
« on: March 05, 2022, 15:43:17 »
Sowing season is upon us….but what compost are you using for seeds this year?

So far I’ve purchased some Westland with added  John Innes (mostly coarse green waste, lightweight and no soil or sand like additional stuff that I can see!) and B&Q Verve multipurpose which has a better texture but still needs a good sieving before using it for seeds. Anyone found any new composts that are worth trying this year?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: 2022 What compost are you using this year thread?!
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 16:29:46 »
Not a brand you'd find in the UK but, for the first time since we moved here, France Rurale, where we buy compost, plug plants and bird food, had peat free compost on sale so we got 4 60litre bags to get me started.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 17:31:22 »
I am making my own this year again!
This last couple of years since giving up my allotments I have been growing a bit more stuff in containers which you will appreciate requires a lot of compost, hence my plan to make my own.

I got to thinking that I grew my stuff in the same soil for over 30 years, why can't I use the spent compost I end up with after harvesting? On the allotment, all I did was aerate(dig) the soil add humus and fertiliser and my stuff grew quite well.

So now I sieve my stored compost in lieu of digging and add fibre/humus and fertiliser.

I decided to make all my compost to the John Innes formula which is made up of loam and peat with added fertiliser and lime.
Ji No. 1
Mix:
7 parts sterilised loam
3 parts peat
2 parts sharp sand
Then add:
0.6gms per litre ground limestone (0.6kg per cubic metre)
3gms per litre John Innes Base fertiliser (3kg per cubic metre)

So I now use my spent compost in lieu of loam, and as it is now difficult to get peat I have found a very fibrous compost (see pic 1 )and I buy my Ji Base fertiliser in bulk (see pic 2)

I mix up largish batches of compost and spent compost, but do not add any fertilser to it at this stage,I think of this as my 'base mix'

As most of you will know Ji comes as Ji 1, 2 or 3 where the only difference between them is Ji 1 contains 1 measure of Ji fertilser  and 2=2 measures and Ji 3 =3 measures so I add my fertiliser to the "base mix" to suit the mix I require e.g 1/2/3

For seed, I put base mix through a fine sieve and neuk it in a microwave oven, and I do not add fertilser.

Having seen the results for the last two years I am optimistic that I won't need to purchase the Westland compost as I have a source of horse muck which if left long enough reduces down a mixture that resembles a chocolate mousse, so I will use this as a peat substitute!

I went to purchase some Westland compost a few weeks and found the price has risen by around 30% luckily my supplier gave me my order at last years prices. I have roughly calculated that my homemade mix costs me around 3p per litre meaning a 70 litre bag costs me around £2.

Finally if I say so myself the quality of my homemade compost is excellent, unlike the sort of stuff that is on the market today as Deb describes!

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 07:19:07 »
I would love to use my own compost as I haven’t found a peat-free compost that I feel is affordable in quantity or of good quality.
I produce quite a lot of my own compost but weed-free it certainly isn’t!
Recently though I’ve watched a webinar which promotes the use of composted woodchip plus vermiculite as a seed-sowing medium, and I’m rather interested in trying this. (https://twitter.com/SeedSov/status/1496870817866698760?s=08 ) I’m lucky enough to produce quite a lot of woodchip and have bagged some in the hope of keeping it weed free and hope it might be ready for next year’s growing. Vermiculite doesn’t have brilliant credentials as it’s imported, but seems better than using peat. I think a sieve with a turning handle might help, so something to look into.

Hopes for the future, but at the moment I’m not very happy with the mixture of unsatisfactory composts I’m using.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2022, 10:18:21 »
I'm mostly using the B+Q Verve, but mix in some sharp sand, having had problems with waterlogging in recent years.

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2022, 10:22:34 »
Bathgate Champions Blend which isn't peat free but was available when I last bought from our allotment association. I'll try some peat free next time I buy.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2022, 10:42:24 »
Quote’ As most of you will know Ji comes as Ji 1, 2 or 3 where the only difference between them is Ji 1 contains 1 measure of Ji fertilser  and 2=2 measures and Ji 3 =3 measures so I add my fertiliser to the "base mix" to suit the mix I require e.g 1/2/3’

I have to confess I didn’t think that was the only difference between the types!
I admire your patience in producing your own compost, particularly microwaving batches to sterilise it, I’m hoping I can purchase a product with somewhere near the quality! 
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2022, 18:15:27 »
Our allotment association has clover brand in stock, so I bought that. I was very surprised to see that it is still peat based.  It's good stuff and cheap (75 litres for £5.50) but not sure it is environment friendly.

At a bit of a tangent inflation is hitting gardening too.  Eight foot canes from the association shop are currently 45 pence each.  But shipping costs have risen so much when the current stock is sold the price will rise to 90 pence each.  Even growing your own can't escape from the cost of living crisis.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 18:22:33 by Beersmith »
Not mad, just out to mulch!

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2023, 16:08:28 »
As a newbie, I'm confused at the whole topic of growing medium/compost/soil, so maybe some of you can help clear up my understanding..

I understand that there's a distinction between true compost and soil, but I'm unsure what is actually on the top layer of my allotment at the moment, and what sort of enrichment is appropriate. According to my neighbour, my plot has not been looked after or fed with fertilizer for a few years. So, much as it looks nice, it may be depleted.

Looking at the soil and giving it a quick dig, I believe it to be a pretty decent, fluffy loam with a tendency to being a bit sandy. No clay, silt, and no obvious stones. I read that loam is the gold standard and should be great for growing most things.

I may be over-thinking this, but this is what puzzles me.... If the soil is so great, then doesn't it constitute a good growing media in its own right, or do I layer compost+mulch on top and grow in that, or do I mix compost into the top of it, or dig compost well into it? Is compost dug deep into it going to be wasted? Is compost dumped on top of it, too rich in nutrients. If the soil is good, do I really need to add compost, or could I just add some growmore?

My quarter plot is divided into 5 rectangles each of about 12 sq m, but the beds are not raised. Just defined by some bits of timber and carpet tiles. If it were raised beds, I could see myself spending a small fortune if I had to add a couple of inches of bought compost, so I don't want to do that if it won't make a difference. After all, in large scale agriculture, farmers don't pop down a thick layer of compost every year?

In the 15m patch that I've sown spuds, so far, I've raked 5 bags of well rotted manure, just mixed into the top 2 or 3 inches or so. Does that sound roughly the right quantity? That's used up my 'good stuff' What, and how much should I need to buy and spread on the other patches, so as to get decent value for money?

I have some fresh horse muck. Do I avoid using it and just add it to my compost heap?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2023, 17:06:19 »
This link along with its related links (see column to right of page) should answer many of the questions you may have in mind, https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/S/Soil-Preparation/Soil%20Cultivation.htm
Plus there is some more info here; https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/A/Allotments/Allotment%20Blog.htm

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2023, 18:21:48 »
This link along with its related links (see column to right of page) should answer many of the questions you may have in mind, https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/S/Soil-Preparation/Soil%20Cultivation.htm
Plus there is some more info here; https://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Content/A/Allotments/Allotment%20Blog.htm
Thank you. Yes. that helps.
Quote from: from that site
"Basically the 'no dig' method is carried out by mulching / spreading a 2”-3” (50-75mm) layer of organic matter e.g. well rotted manure and / or compost annually on to the surface of the bed."
Therein lies the rub. INSANE expense!
50mm coverage over the whole 75sq m area would be 3.75 cubic metres =3750 litres=75x50L bags or over £300 worth of added compost per year..... Which would be insane! That's for no-dig.
At the rate of 5 bags per 15 sq m (at £1 per bag) that I applied my rotted muck, I will be spending less than a tenth of that.
If I were to just add growmore 7 7 7 it would cost less than £10 per year, albeit without the texture improvement.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 18:29:51 »
I have some fresh horse muck. Do I avoid using it and just add it to my compost heap?

Yes, give it (at least) a year to rot down, then use it. If it's still got recognisable turds annd straw/shavings, it's too fresh - ideally it should be a nice solid-to-crumbly (depending on the moisture) texture - think fruit cake in appearance.
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 18:45:39 »

Yes, give it (at least) a year to rot down, then use it. If it's still got recognisable turds annd straw/shavings, it's too fresh - ideally it should be a nice solid-to-crumbly (depending on the moisture) texture - think fruit cake in appearance.
Thanks. I have sh**-loads of the stuff :)
I wonder if I could trade it with any neighbouring plots, for seeds or green waste or something else useful.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 21:23:33 »
If the texture of the soil looks generally good you might consider just using something like chicken poo pellets for a general fertiliser just raked in before planting/sowing. You never know what you are going to have in the way of diseases on a new plot snd you don’t find out until you try and grow in it!
I keep a note of what crops I sow in each area, what treatment I’ve put on it that year ( eg limed, compost, muck mulch and any problems I find at the end of the season. For example I have two beds which I avoid growing any of the allium family in because of white rot, two beds that dry out very fast and need a big organic tip up of mushroom compost, and one bed that always gets riddled with bindweed so needs digging over and mulching each year with no permanent crops.

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2023, 06:54:23 »
It sounds as though your loads of horse manure are going to be the way you can avoid expense as in future years it will give you your mulch without spending anything. So I would store as much of it as you can.
You’re very lucky that you have soil with a good texture but that doesn’t stop it being depleted of nutrients by successive crops. Your horse manure will largely see to that but it’s a good idea to check it for nasty herbicides by trying a few bean seeds in it to make sure they grow healthily.
You will need to decide whether you want to grow organically and if you do then chicken manure pellets (if needed) will definitely be preferable to Growmore. Nettle or comfrey tea though will give you a free boost, without possibly needing either bought fertiliser.

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2023, 09:19:58 »
It sounds as though your loads of horse manure are going to be the way you can avoid expense as in future years it will give you your mulch without spending anything. So I would store as much of it as you can.
You’re very lucky that you have soil with a good texture but that doesn’t stop it being depleted of nutrients by successive crops. Your horse manure will largely see to that but it’s a good idea to check it for nasty herbicides by trying a few bean seeds in it to make sure they grow healthily.
You will need to decide whether you want to grow organically and if you do then chicken manure pellets (if needed) will definitely be preferable to Growmore. Nettle or comfrey tea though will give you a free boost, without possibly needing either bought fertiliser.
Thanks.
I've put out the word that I'd like to swap some of my fresh horse poo for pretty much anything, such as green waste or seeds, and so far I've traded some up for straw mixed older stuff. I realise that making my own compost is a longer term exercise and I've no aversion to using chemicals in the mean time, except perhaps the cost, where I'm trying really hard to be frugal. I already have a good source of green food waste and I'm lining up sources of good muck and wood chippings.

I always ask the sources of muck about herbicides like Grazon, but I really need to start testing for it. I wonder how common a problem it really is.

I'm still chuckling to myself at the much touted, no dig, idea of a 3 inch layer of compost costing typically 9p a litre or £3 per sq metre per year. That's far, far more than I'd want to spend.

I saw that Charles Dowding, for all his organised industrial scale composting, still buys in 2/3 of his compost.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2023, 09:20:46 »
I'm still chuckling to myself at the much touted, no dig, idea of a 3 inch layer of compost costing typically 9p a litre or £3 per sq metre per year. That's far, far more than I'd want to spend.
I saw that Charles Dowding, for all his organised industrial scale composting, still buys in 2/3 of his compost.

I have no idea if he buys it in or not but he recommends 3cm a year after the first year, not 3 inches. Personally this is easily doable with rotted manure and the contents of the compost bins..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2023, 09:46:27 »
But, dahlings, just where else would one rather find ones compost than these:

"Today, however, posh poop for the garden is more fashionable than ever. Compost made headlines this week when it was discovered that the Land Gardeners — Henrietta Courtauld and Bridget Elworthy — whose fresh flowers harvested from the original walled gardens at Wardington Manor in Oxfordshire (Elworthy’s home) are much coveted in London and the home counties — are selling Climate Compost Inoculum at £20 for a 1.5kg bag. The compost, abundant in naturally occurring soil microbes, comes from their gardens and the Althorp estate, where Diana, Princess of Wales grew up, in west Northamptonshire. Although the price tag is high, at least this mode for manure comes from a good place, so to speak. It is more about its environmental credentials than its designer ones.

Making manure waves on the other side of the Atlantic is Flamingo Estate’s The Good nuts. This organic compost, harvested near Los Angeles, sells for £60 for a 4kg bag. After appearing in a gift guide for Gwyneth Paltrow’s company Goop, it sold out over Christmas and has a waiting list. Flamingo Estate’s owner, Richard Christiansen, used to run a creative agency in New York where he worked with Kyle Minogue and numerous high-end fashion clients. If anyone knows how to turn dung to dollars, he does."

(From The Times)

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2023, 13:46:42 »
If your allotment hasn't been used for a couple of years it has effectively been lying fallow which used to be one of the rotation years for farmland before industrialisation, intensive growing and chemical based fertilisers became the norm after WW2.

If you feel the soil texture is good then go ahead and clear weeds to a compost heap and plant but bear in mind the need to rotate crops to avoid the build up pests and diseases and also depletion of nutrients.   Mulching is always a good idea if you have enough composted material available and your horse poo is black gold so hang onto as much as you can and let it break down for a year or two before using as a mulch or feed.

You can consult the RHS website, Garden Organic or Tee Gee's almanac for crop rotation and soil prep info.

The only fertiliser I buy is a special liquid feed for citrus plants and bags of pelleted chicken manure.   Eveyting else comes off our compost heaps and, when I can get it, local horse poo.
Obxx - Vendée France

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2023, 14:06:02 »
Thanks for the plug Obelixx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal