Author Topic: Rude awakening  (Read 6004 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Rude awakening
« on: February 28, 2022, 17:33:42 »
Just waking up with my first coffee this morning, heard a sound that I have not heard for well over seventy years. An air raid siren being sounded at Portsmouth naval base. No warning given and it took a few second to realise it was more a slug of gin needed, not coffee. Thankfully just testing, but not after half the island ran for cover. Years ago a neighbour had a parrot that would start wailing like a siren every time it heard an aircraft flying over. It would do the full wind up to full volume  and then the run down to the final croaking notes.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
Re: Rude awakening
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 18:35:39 »
Clean trousers all round?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2022, 07:06:51 »
Not an early morning call you need!

pumkinlover

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2022, 07:20:21 »
Scary in the circumstances.

Watching the news I've been wondering if there are air raid sirens in our country?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 10:02:21 »
Posted by: pumpkinlover
« on: Today at 06:20:21 » Insert Quote
Scary in the circumstances.

Watching the news I've been wondering if there are air raid sirens in our country?

Yes there are ours are tested at 11.00am evert Friday morning

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 10:28:35 »
There was one somewhere on the school building when i was a child, it went off one day at playtime. i vividly remember the whole playground bought to a dead stop and eerie silence and a feeling of thumping anxiety. i willl admit to being anxious now. And i shouls imagine they are still being maintained , duck and cover hide under the stairs. WTF,
Nora
Norf London

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 10:44:52 »
I think I would poop myself if I heard one!! Scary times yet again!
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2022, 10:46:47 »
They are thinking of sending a warning by my smart phone, which I am turning off for Lent. But like they say it will all be over by Christmas friday as I think the nutter has had his @rse kicked a bit harder than he thought

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2022, 11:19:02 »
Oddly we heard one yesterday here in Portugal.  Having lunch outside in the old town of Obidos and it cranked up, probably for something totally unrelated but it almost made me spill my beer.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2022, 11:35:30 »
Very normal in Germany where I grew up.  Sirens alert the fire brigade, which is staffed by volunteers who drop everything when the siren goes.  As a kid we learned all the different sounds for different emergencies, and one was for bomb attack and another for nuclear attack.  We occasionally had drills, not that it would have mattered a thing had the nuclear one gone off for real. 

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2022, 08:25:30 »
Childhood memory for me. Sirens used to go off at 7.30 am every day, to rouse the factory workers. Then again at 8 o clock am.,  then later at 8.30 to tell them it was time to leave home. Not sure which Factory it was though.
Gardening is the great leveller.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2022, 09:31:29 »
Very normal in Germany where I grew up.  Sirens alert the fire brigade, which is staffed by volunteers who drop everything when the siren goes.  As a kid we learned all the different sounds for different emergencies, and one was for bomb attack and another for nuclear attack.  We occasionally had drills, not that it would have mattered a thing had the nuclear one gone off for real. 

That reminds me of the summer I spent in Germany when, one morning, I was woken up by sirens and discovered the local fire brigade lined up on the hostel lawn doing physical jerks - very odd, especially as they were all wearing helmets modelled on the old stahlhelm "coal scuttle"!
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Tiny Clanger

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2022, 12:57:57 »
Tested in Nuneaton today. This is NOT a regular occurrence.
I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2022, 17:51:11 »
And again here today in Cartaxo.  Went on for a bit too long for my liking so I came in from the garden to make sure the world was still here...
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal