Author Topic: I am struggling with rats  (Read 2076 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
I am struggling with rats
« on: February 10, 2022, 13:03:32 »
I get rather fed up with people who bring their kitchen waste and put it into their compost bins.  It is attracting rats.  There at least four plot holders who march down to their plots every week with the caddy full of rat food. 
They have just eaten most of my tulip bulbs. 
I have just sown snow peas, and I am hoping a sprinkle of chilli powder will keep them away.  But they have learned to dig under plastic bottles now. 
I dropped a packet of broad bean seeds and when I got back the next morning they have eaten every one.
There are channels and ploppings in my compost bins.

Beersmith

• Hectare
  • Duston, Northampton. Loam / sand.
Re: I am struggling with rats
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 13:47:46 »
Any chance of getting the site committee involved?  On our site they will set bait boxes if notified of rat sightings.

The new developments in modern rat poisons are very effective.  They have to be used with care, as they are anticoagulants just like the old warfarin type just many times more deadly.  I'm sure the cost would be unwelcome but might be worth it.  Perhaps you could point out to your neighbors the signs of rat infestation and ask them to share the costs. It might make them think about their behaviour.

Not mad, just out to mulch!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 14:06:50 »
Received advice remains that you can put "vegetable kitchen waste" on the heap, but I think the rats quite happily go for that once they are in the area anyway.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 17:27:14 »
Digeroo I am sorry to hear you have this problem.  Years ago we rented a house which we then found had a resident rat, the council pest control which was free then finally caught it with a piece of raw potato as the bait so I never put potato peelings in my compost bin.  Has anyone else come across that? The rat was a young one which didn't set off the trap so the potato was placed in the middle of a very sticky board! Ugh!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal